Bloomberg Data, Company Financials Consumer Discretionary & Staples Team Leader, Hong Kong
Posted Mar 27, 2023 - Requisition No. 115070
Bloomberg runs on data. In Bloomberg Data, we’re responsible for on-boarding, analyzing, applying and supplying it to our clients for their financial data needs. Across Company Financials Data Teams, we move markets by providing our clients with sought-after reported-on and broker-estimated financials that are normalized across industries and companies, key analytical ratios, and industry-specific data points. More than 320,000 business leaders rely on the real time financial information available on the Bloomberg Professional Service. Our products run on intelligence and industry-specific insight provided by Data’s Company Financials team. Our team of sector-aligned analysts influence investment decisions and move the markets every day, and we are growing.
Leveraging innovative, collaborative, and client focused approaches to data extraction, aggregation, and standardization, Company Financials Data analysts use industry knowledge and company financial data subject matter expertise in order to create a comprehensive client experience across the product offering throughout the earnings cycle, including pre-earnings through guidance and consensus creation, at the time of earnings through the IPO process all the way to the quarterly reporting process from earnings to preliminary results to audited full financial results, providing performance and surprise analysis, for robust company and peer analysis.
Here’s where our team's industry expertise comes into play. Whether we are sourcing market data from new or existing providers or processing complex financial data – our team's work will help ensure the consistency and quality of company portfolios at an industry level.
The Company Financials Consumer Discretionary & Staples Team is looking for a Team Leader to manage and develop a high-performing team of consumer industry specialists, owning the data management and analysis for the sector, including consumer staples and consumer discretionary companies. Your role is key in ensuring consistency of standards within the sector and collaborating with others to oversee the delivery of accurate and timely financials data while curating company and industry specific analysis.
In this role, you will be expected to drive the development of expertise in the consumer discretionary and staples industry within the team and manage the corresponding data. You’ll need to drive the development of financial knowledge and analytical thinking in your team to derive meaningful insights for our customers. Your team will transform complex data and work processes into financial data products that are indispensable to our users. This position requires extensive collaboration with global colleagues, and partners across all business units including Business Managers, News, Bloomberg Intelligence, Sales & Analytics, our Data Governance team, and Engineering.
We'll trust you to:
- Leverage a high-level understanding of consumer discretionary and staples industry and company data, in order to locate, gather, and analyze consumer data in a proficient and timely manner, to provide information and analysis for clients. This includes staying current on relevant issues and trends within the consumer sector.
- Recruit, coach, and develop a team of analysts who will be consumer industry specialists and experts in their product demonstrated through processing time-sensitive, high-quality data, data analysis, and project management. They will need to manage various projects that may include segment and product analysis, customer traffic data analysis, integration of alternative data sets into Bloomberg’s data, as well as related economic analysis.
- Empower your team to provide news and content on consumer market developments, with technical analysis of market trends to assist our Product team and customers
- Collaborate with global counterparts to evolve the role, workflow, and operating procedures to ensure consistency in data quality and timeliness across regions, as well as knowledge share in regional consumer sector nuances.
- Create processes and standards that make sure the delivery of data and the level customer service exceeds expectations
- Work with other data and core business groups, such as Product, Sales, News and Engineering to help develop and enhance product databases and functionality across the terminal
- Apply your passion for deep learning of an industry to our team’s overall vision, and leverage that knowledge to drive decisions about interoperability of data relevant to that industry
- Manage and mentor team on large and complex data projects and business initiatives related to the industries they cover
- Set a strategy to recruit, retain, and develop top talent within your team and global counterparts
- Minimum 3 years of direct or indirect leadership experience (for example leading projects, mentoring people, etc.)
- Minimum 3 years of market data/financial modeling experience in the financial market, ideally from banks, exchanges or financial technology companies
- Proficiency with data visualization tools or coding, such as Excel, SQL, QlikSense or Tableau
- An understanding of the mechanics of the consumer discretionary and consumer staples industry, be able to quantify the trends impacting the industry, and provide information that can aid commercial decisions.
- Vision to align your team's goals around providing superior service to Business and other internal/external clients, and the ability to execute a business and people strategy which delivers on that vision
- Strong understanding of the wide-ranging impact of financial data
- Well-honed listening skills, allowing you to draw understanding of your team and clients’ needs
- Proven ability to establish strong credibility and build influential relationships with multiple internal and external clients and stakeholders
- Creative and flexible approach to problem solving, aided by strong data analysis skills
- Passion for building deep sector and industry knowledge, and demonstrated interest in and familiarity with a specific sector
- Demonstrated continuous career growth within an organization
- An experimental posture, to challenge past assumptions and ways of thinking
- Excellent written and verbal English communication skills, allowing you to accurately communicate business needs and requirements and to advocate on behalf of your team
You'll need to have:
We’d love to see:
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Accounting, Mathematics, Statistics, or Business, or in a related field of study
- CFA designation (or working towards it)
- Working knowledge of consumer modeling software
- Familiarity with consumer analytics data and available industry statistics from sources such as Bureau of Labor Statistics, Industry Association and Second Measure
- Experience or knowledge in Bloomberg Company Financials Products, Bloomberg terminal fluency, and/or Bloomberg Data workflows
- Experience working with industry data as part of your product coverage
- Experience using data visualization tools such as QlikSense
If this sounds like you:
Apply if you think we're a good match. We'll get in touch to let you know what the next steps are, but in the meantime feel free to have a look at this: http://www.bloomberg.com/professional?
Bloomberg is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, ancestry, color, gender identity or expression, genetic predisposition or carrier status, marital status, national or ethnic origin, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, sexual and other reproductive health decisions, parental or caring status, physical or mental disability, pregnancy or parental leave, protected veteran status, status as a victim of domestic violence, or any other classification protected by applicable law.
Bloomberg is a disability inclusive employer. Please let us know if you require any reasonable adjustments to be made for the recruitment process. If you would prefer to discuss this confidentially, please email email@example.com