Breaking News Editor - Hong Kong
Posted May 30, 2022 - Requisition No. 104041
Bloomberg News is the biggest financial and business news organization in the world. We lead the way in breaking news and providing analysis on financial markets, from intraday coverage through in-depth features. We are known for our quality, accuracy and ability to deliver news investors can use. It's what keeps us inventing and re-inventing, all the time.
Bloomberg News is looking for a dynamic, versatile, and passionate editor to join our Breaking News Asia team as shifts in global power balances continue to reshape economies, politics and business. Breaking News is at the sharp end of the newsroom; our mission is to deliver news to readers as quickly as possible on anything that could affect a buy-sell-hold outlook for stocks, currencies, commodities or any other stores of value.
We don't choose between first and factual, we deliver both together for an audience that expects to stay a step ahead. That audience is both local and global, and your dispatches will be readable and actionable to clients around the world, whether they live in Bangkok, Beijing, Boston, or Berlin. 2022 is an election year in the United States, and you'll contribute to coverage of President Joe Biden's administration and the process by which his allies and opponents seek power.
As a Breaking News Editor monitoring global news, you will be the first pair of eyes on any market-moving story out of any corner of the world. You will watch the constant flow of information from a range of sources including social media, regulatory wires and company websites; use strong news judgement to decide what actually has potential to move markets; and relay that information in headlines and dispatches as quickly and as clearly as possible for our real-time clients. You'll take the lead when mega-acquisitions are announced out of the blue or when earthquakes threaten populous cities. You'll help cover the late-night twists and turns of U.S politics, be the first to notice when a newsmaker's tweet could have an impact on share prices, or deliver the news when an industry-shaking antitrust ruling finally drops.
Breaking News Editors aren't afraid to make split-second decisions, and love surprises. No two days are the same. When unexpected news breaks, we don't wait for someone else to take the first step. We work well with both people and technology. We solve problems. Sometimes that means inventing the solutions. If this sounds like you, we want you to join our Breaking News team in Asia.
We'll trust you to:
- Make fast and decisive judgement calls on breaking news stories, including M&A, IPOs, corporate earnings, government news and other global events
- Stay poised and focused in a fast-paced, demanding environment
- Unearth news from traditional and new-media sources
- Stay on top of major news stories and trends that matter to market participants
- Write potentially market-moving first versions of stories, quickly and accurately
- Collaborate with Bloomberg reporters and editors across Asia and the world
- Be a constructive, flexible, and dependable team player
You'll need to have:
- At least 5 years of recent experience in journalism
- Experience in a real-time news environment
- Experience covering financial markets, business or economies as a journalist
- Fluency in both spoken and written English
- Familiarity with social media and ability to evaluate the credibility of information from such sources
- Proven skill at collaborating and working across teams to accomplish goals
- Flexibility to adjust working schedule based on business needs
- Demonstrated continuous career growth within an organisation
- A deep interest in major news stories from all around the world
We’d love to see:
- Familiarity or interest in automation, machine learning and/or natural language processing
- Familiarity or interest in statistics, data-driven news, and finding creative ways to knit together data points to unveil trends
If this sounds like you:
Apply if you think we're a good match. We'll get in touch to let you know that the next steps are, but in the meantime feel free to have a look at this: www.blpcareers.com
Bloomberg is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, ancestry, color, gender identity or expression, genetic predisposition or carrier status, marital status, national or ethnic origin, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, sexual and other reproductive health decisions, parental or caring status, physical or mental disability, pregnancy or maternity/parental leave, protected veteran status, status as a victim of domestic violence, or any other classification protected by applicable law.
Bloomberg is a disability inclusive employer. Please let us know if you require any reasonable adjustments to be made for the recruitment process. If you would prefer to discuss this confidentially, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.