Breaking News Editor - Hong Kong
Posted Sep 10, 2021 - Requisition No. 95291
Bloomberg News is looking for a dynamic, versatile, and passionate journalist to join our Breaking News team in Asia, at a time when the Covid-19 pandemic and shifts in global power balances continue to reshape economies, politics and business. Bloomberg is one of the world's biggest financial news organizations, leading the way in covering mergers and acquisitions, initial public offerings and other major events relevant to markets. Bloomberg's Breaking News team is fast and innovative, and our mission is to deliver this news to readers as quickly as possible, enabling our audience to stay a step ahead.
As a Breaking News editor on a team that monitors global news, you will be the first pair of eyes on any market-moving story out of any corner of the world. You will watch the constant flow of information from a range of sources including social media, regulatory wires and company websites; use strong news judgement to decide what actually has potential to move markets; and relay that information in headlines and dispatches as quickly as possible, as clearly as possible, for our real-time clients. You'll take the lead when mega-acquisitions are announced out of the blue, when rockets are fired in the Middle East or when earthquakes threaten populous cities. You'll help cover the late-night twists and turns of U.S politics, be the first to notice when a newsmaker's tweet could have an impact on trading decisions, or deliver the news when an industry-shaking antitrust ruling finally drops.
Breaking News editors thrive in a high-pressure environment, aren't afraid to make split-second decisions, and love surprises. When unexpected news breaks, we will jump in to cover it rather than hang back and wait for someone else to take the first step. We work well with both people and technology. We understand what serious market participants are looking for amid the daily deluge of information, and we're adept at separating the wheat from the chaff on social media. If this sounds like you, we want you to join our Breaking News team in Asia.
We'll trust you to:
- Make fast and decisive judgement calls on breaking news stories, including M&A, IPOs, corporate earnings, government news and other global events
- Stay poised and focused in a fast-paced, demanding environment
- Unearth news from traditional and new-media sources
- Stay on top of major news stories and trends that matter to market participants
- Write potentially market-moving first versions of stories, quickly and accurately
- Collaborate with Bloomberg reporters and editors across Asia and the world
- Be a constructive, flexible, and dependable team player
You need to have:
- A minimum of 3 years of journalism experience
- Experience working at a real-time news service
- Experience covering financial markets, business or economies as a journalist
- Fluency in both spoken and written English
- Familiarity with social media and ability to evaluate the credibility of information from such sources
- Proven skill at collaborating and working across teams to accomplish goal
- A bachelor's degree or equivalent experience
- A deep interest in major news stories from all around the world
- Flexibility with hours and assignments. News is unpredictable!
We’d also love to see:
- Fluency in an Asian language
- Familiarity with automation, machine learning and/or natural language processing
If this sounds like you:
Apply if you think we're a good match. We'll get in touch to let you know that the next steps are, but in the meantime feel free to have a look at http://www.bloomberg.com/
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.