China Economy Editor - Hong Kong
Posted Sep 27, 2021 - Requisition No. 95758
The world's number 2 economy is one of the most fascinating stories there is to tell in journalism. From the comeback after the coronavirus shutdowns to the slow demographic shifts that impact more than a billion people and the sweeping regulatory crackdown and push for 'Common Prosperity,' China's economy is relevant for global readers like never before.
Bloomberg News is looking for a seasoned economic journalist who'll work as part of a team to help keep readers abreast of the day-to-day detail of economic data, unearth the big underlying trends before our competitors do and help reporters break news on upcoming policy shifts. Based in Hong Kong, we're seeking a nimble journalist who can juggle both writing and editing duties, jumping between writing real-time analysis pieces and editing coverage coming from the team on the mainland.
The role involves liaising with markets, government, companies, commodities, technology and research teams to tell the China story from all angles. It also entails utilizing the power of the information on the Bloomberg terminal and working across platforms including blogs, web, TV, graphics and print. Working with bureaus in Hong Kong and Taiwan to steer and elevate their economics coverage will be another component of this varied and exciting position.
We'll trust you to:
- Take breaking news from the initial headlines to fully blown, agenda-setting follow up and analysis
- Work with reporters to break news and develop their ideas into both short- and long-form stories (including graphics)
- Bring your own ideas for stories that are relevant to discerning readers in Asia and around the world
- Coach reporters in the team, helping to shape ideas and develop projects for all of our platforms
- Work seamlessly and proactively across teams, geographies and individual departments within Bloomberg News
- Advocate for our readers, ensuring that stories are told in the most appropriate and creative format
You'll need to have:
- A Minimum of 5 years of experience in Journalism
- Experience working at a real-time news service
- The ability writing clearly, quickly and accurately in English, often under intense time pressure
- Experience covering financial markets, business or economies as a journalist
- Experience with story-telling across a range of platforms, including print, digital, podcasts & graphics
We'd also like to see:
- A track record covering macroeconomics and/or China for a major publication
- Knowledge of Mandarin
If this sounds like you:
Apply if you think we're a good match. We'll get in touch to let you know what the next steps are, but in the meantime feel free to have a look at this: www.blpcareers.com
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.Bloomberg is a disability inclusive employer.
Please let us know if you require any adjustments to be made for the recruitment process by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.