Climate Reporter - Beijing
Posted Aug 21, 2019 - Requisition No. 76782
We are looking for a seasoned reporter to write about climate change in Asia. The successful applicant will need to be a self-starter with a deep curiosity for the intersection of business, climate, society and policy. We want someone who can explain how environmental policies in China, the world's largest polluter and second largest economy, are reshaping businesses across the world. And we want someone to take a broader regional role too, with a special focus on India and Australia. More broadly, we want to show how rising sea levels and changing weather patterns are forcing companies, investors and politicians to adapt to climate change across Asia.
Our Asia climate correspondent will have a wide remit, but must also be able to collaborate with reporters on Bloomberg's business, economics, markets, tech and politics teams when necessary. This reporter will deliver memorable stories that reach far beyond daily news headlines. The climate reporter should be able to pursue long-term enterprise stories while deftly switching gears as needed in response to news events.
We’ll trust you to:
- Generate story and project ideas that make vivid the impact of climate change in China and elsewhere in Asia.
- Write long-form stories with narrative scope and rich details.
- Respond to climate-related news events in the region, with an ability to place developments into thoughtful context
- Tell data-driven stories informed by climate science, economics, and government policy
- Interact with Bloomberg reporters across Asia to generate ideas and leverage expertise
- Report with the highest standards and integrity, valuing precision, accuracy and transparency above all else.
You’ll need to have:
- Minimum of five years in journalism, with preference given to those with a background in business or climate reporting
- Experience reporting in China
- A demonstrated ability to conceive and deliver deeply reported features
- Flexibility and willingness to travel
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
We’d love to see:
- Knowledge of Mandarin, with fluency being a major advantage
- Experience working in a fast-paced news environment
- Familiarity with journalism across platforms, including digital, video, podcasts and data visualizations
If this sounds like you:
Please apply! If we think you're a good match, we’ll get in touch to let you the next steps are.
Bloomberg is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status
We are a disability inclusive employer. Please let us know if you require any adjustments to be made for the recruitment process by emailing email@example.com