Data Visualization Editor - Hong Kong
Posted Oct 20, 2023 - Requisition No. 120957
Bloomberg News is one of the biggest financial and business news organizations in the world. We lead the way in breaking news and providing analysis on financial markets, from daily coverage through to in-depth features. We are known for our quality, accuracy and ability to deliver news investors can use. It's what keeps us inventing and re-inventing, all the time.
Bloomberg News is seeking a Data Visualization Editor to guide team members in covering news as it unfolds, visualizing data-driven insights through charts, maps and other forms. We value editors who can identify graphics and visual narratives that help readers understand events as they evolve, collaborate with newsroom colleagues to ensure our team’s contributions to newsroom coverage are coordinated and timely, and inspire data visualization reporters to create clear and informative graphics.
You should be passionate about telling stories of significance to readers in Asia and the Pacific — as well as a global audience. In addition to colleagues in the Hong Kong and Singapore news bureaus, you’ll have opportunities to collaborate with Bloomberg News Data Visualization colleagues in Taipei, London, New York, Washington D.C. and San Francisco.
Relying on your sound news judgment and refined design sensibilities, you’ll edit data-driven graphics and visual storytelling driven by news coverage. You’ll coordinate with editors on the Data Visualization team and across the newsroom to understand coverage priorities as news events unfold. You’ll assign stories — and inspire reporters to generate ideas for graphics and visual narratives — that push our coverage forward, and you’ll deliver clear, actionable feedback as you edit. We value editors who lead by example and pitch in to ensure we publish on deadline.
Prior editing experience is preferred, but not required. Candidates eager to transition to an editing role who can show an extensive background creating news-driven maps, charts and other data visualizations, and leading collaborative projects, are encouraged to apply.
We’ll trust you to:
- Guide reporters to create compelling maps, charts, explanatory diagrams and other graphics in response to news events, both planned and unplanned
- Help reporters follow news as it develops, identifying potential data and visual opportunities for stories that push our coverage forward
- Assign, shape and edit graphics and narrative data visualizations to publication
- Deliver feedback on how to communicate effectively through graphics
- Work efficiently under tight deadlines
- Coordinate with newsroom leaders in the region to understand coverage priorities
- Possess interest in topics core to Bloomberg News coverage — including finance, markets, economics and government policy, among others — and an eagerness to develop subject-matter expertise in these areas
You’ll need to have:
- At least 3 years of professional experience in a role that produces data visualizations for publication
- Experience conceptualizing and structuring visual narratives and writing copy
- Strong communications skills and project management experience in coordinating across multiple teams
- Strong sense of visual design with solid understanding of layout, typography and user experience and familiarity with design software such as Adobe Creative Cloud
- Experience evaluating data sources and assessing data reporting
- Proficiency in both spoken and written English
- Demonstrated continuous career growth within an organisation
You’ll have the support of other editors and journalists across our highly-collaborative global graphics team, but your ability to jump into projects and apply these skills will help the team take ownership of critical stories in the region.
If you think you'd be a good fit to join us, submit an application and include a resume, a brief letter telling us about yourself and a portfolio that demonstrates an understanding of data journalism, design and visual storytelling. Include a link to your Github account if you have one.
Life at Bloomberg is many things, but it’s never dull. We are a truly global business with a truly diverse workforce. We pride ourselves on being open, inclusive and collaborative, and provide a work environment that inspires our employees to be their best. We offer competitive compensation, comprehensive healthcare coverage, and programs to support you and your family through different life stages, from parental leave to generous retirement savings plans.
If this sounds like you:
Apply if you think we're a good match. We'll get in touch to let you know what the next steps are, but in the meantime feel free to have a look at this: https://www.bloomberg.com/professional
Learn more about our office and benefits:
Hong Kong | www.bloomberg.com/hongkong
Bloomberg is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, ancestry, color, gender identity or expression, genetic predisposition or carrier status, marital status, national or ethnic origin, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, sexual and other reproductive health decisions, parental or caring status, physical or mental disability, pregnancy or maternity/parental leave, protected veteran status, status as a victim of domestic violence, or any other classification protected by applicable law.
Bloomberg provides reasonable adjustment/accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable adjustment/accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable adjustment/accommodation include but are not limited to making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment. If you would prefer to discuss this confidentially, please email AMER_recruit@bloomberg.net (Americas), EMEA_recruit@bloomberg.net (Europe, the Middle East and Africa), or APAC_recruit@bloomberg.net (Asia-Pacific), based on the region you are submitting an application for.?