Data Visualization Reporter - Hong Kong
Posted Oct 19, 2023 - Requisition No. 120912
Bloomberg News is one of the biggest financial and business news organizations in the world. We lead the way in breaking news and providing analysis on financial markets, from daily coverage through to in-depth features. We are known for our quality, accuracy and ability to deliver news investors can use. It's what keeps us inventing and re-inventing, all the time.
Bloomberg News is seeking a Data Visualization Reporter to cover news as it unfolds, displaying data-driven insights through charts, maps and other forms. We value people who are motivated to help readers understand news events through their creation of clear and informative graphics, and who pitch in to ensure our team’s contributions to newsroom coverage are timely.
In addition to colleagues in the Hong Kong and Singapore news bureaus, you’ll have opportunities to collaborate with Bloomberg News Data Visualization journalists in Taipei, London, New York, Washington D.C. and San Francisco.
We’ll trust you to:
- Rely on your exceptional curiosity, technical prowess and design sensibilities to create informative maps, charts, explanatory diagrams and other graphics in response to news events, both planned and unplanned
- Collaborate with team members and newsroom colleagues to report on news events as they evolve over subsequent days or weeks, identifying potential data and visual opportunities for stories that push our coverage forward
- Work efficiently under tight deadlines
- Possess experience or interest in topics core to Bloomberg News coverage — including business, finance, markets, economics, technology, and government matters — and an eagerness to develop subject-matter expertise in these areas
You’ll need to have:
- At least 2 years of professional experience in a role that produces data visualizations
- Strong sense of visual design, layout and typography, as well as familiarity with design software, including Adobe Illustrator and Figma
- Experience reporting on varied deadlines and crafting visual narratives with data
- Experience with data reporting — the ability to collect, manage, munge and analyze data from various sources and formats using R, Python, or other programmatic methods
- Experience with front-end web development is preferred but not required
- Proficiency in both spoken and written English
- Demonstrated continuous career growth within an organisation
You’ll have the support of other editors and journalists across our highly-collaborative global graphics team, but your ability to jump into projects and apply these skills will help the team take ownership of critical stories.
If you think you'd be a good fit to join us, submit an application and include a resume, a brief letter telling us about yourself and a portfolio that demonstrates experience creating graphics and data-driven narratives. Include a link to your Github account if you have one.
Life at Bloomberg is many things, but it’s never dull. We’re a truly global business with a truly diverse workforce. We pride ourselves on being open, inclusive and collaborative, and provide a work environment that inspires our employees to be their best. We offer competitive compensation, comprehensive healthcare coverage, and programs to support you and your family through different life stages, from parental leave to generous retirement savings plans.
If this sounds like you:
Apply if you think we're a good match. We'll get in touch to let you know what the next steps are, but in the meantime feel free to have a look at this: https://www.bloomberg.com/professional
Learn more about our office and benefits:
Hong Kong | www.bloomberg.com/hongkong
Bloomberg is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, ancestry, color, gender identity or expression, genetic predisposition or carrier status, marital status, national or ethnic origin, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, sexual and other reproductive health decisions, parental or caring status, physical or mental disability, pregnancy or maternity/parental leave, protected veteran status, status as a victim of domestic violence, or any other classification protected by applicable law.
Bloomberg provides reasonable adjustment/accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable adjustment/accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable adjustment/accommodation include but are not limited to making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment. If you would prefer to discuss this confidentially, please email AMER_recruit@bloomberg.net (Americas), EMEA_recruit@bloomberg.net (Europe, the Middle East and Africa), or APAC_recruit@bloomberg.net (Asia-Pacific), based on the region you are submitting an application for