Bloomberg’s Legal Department plays a critical role in supporting our businesses and operations around the world. We move quickly and thoughtfully to help address a variety of complex legal issues that come with being the world’s leading financial news and information company. Our team is made of up of talented and hardworking legal professionals who think creatively and work collaboratively in an open environment to deliver results, drive innovation, and solve difficult problems.
As a member of our Department, you will be part of a team that recognizes the value of diversity and inclusion and the importance of giving back to our communities as evidenced by our award-winning pro bono program. This is an excellent opportunity to work in an exciting and dynamic environment.
What’s the Role?
Reporting to the legal manager based in Hong Kong, you will work closely with the rest of the Asia Pacific (APAC) legal and compliance team and provide support across the region with a focus on the Company’s China business.
You will have the opportunity to provide support to all departments and products. On any given day you could be asked to work on a wide variety of matters relating to financial products, enterprise products, media, intellectual property, regulation or employment, amongst others.
We'll Trust you to
- Draft, review and negotiate all types of agreements in support of the Company’s business;
- Manage and guide another PRC qualified lawyer based in Beijing;
- Assist with company secretary work and regulatory filings;
- Manage and assist with resolving significant legal issues escalated by the business and negotiations team in APAC;
- Advise business leaders and your reporting line on potential developments in regional laws and regulations that would impact the Company's interests;
- Provide legal training to business and other colleagues on a regular basis; and
- Engage and oversee outside counsel throughout the region, including, as necessary, in relation to litigation/dispute resolution matters.
You should have:
- PRC legal qualification and at least 10 years’ post-qualification legal experience, gained in a major law firm or multi-national company;
- Broad-based understanding of the main APAC legal systems with a focus on China especially corporate law, financial regulations and cybersecurity requirements applicable to financial institutions;
- Self-motivation and personal self-confidence to work independently and in an open office environment;
- Judgment in identifying critical legal issues and weighing legal risks;
- Ability to clearly and confidently explain legal issues to the business in plain language while providing pragmatic legal advice;
- Strong communication, presentation and negotiation skills in both Mandarin and English;
- Comfort in working with a local team, but with an international outlook and the ability to interact and communicate effectively at local and global level;
- Ability to effectively manage junior lawyers and legal support staff.
We'd love to see:
- Ability to understand, and a strong desire to learn about, Bloomberg's financial technology business and financial sector clients;
- Ability to manage and prioritize multiple projects simultaneously;
- Ability to build relationships across different business and internal operations teams; and
- Overseas law study or working experience, which would be useful but not mandatory
If this sounds like you:
Apply! If we believe you're a good match we'll get in touch to let you know the next steps.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.