North Asia Economy & Government Managing Editor - Singapore
Posted Apr 21, 2023 - Requisition No. 115710
Bloomberg News is one of the biggest financial and business news organizations in the world. We lead the way in breaking news and providing analysis on financial markets, from intraday coverage through to in-depth features. We are known for our quality, accuracy and ability to deliver news investors can use. It's what keeps us inventing and re-inventing, all the time.
We are looking for a Managing Editor to lead our Economy and Government coverage across North Asia based in Hong Kong. You will oversee a dedicated team charged with delivering breaking and market-moving news, in-depth and authoritative analysis and memorable enterprise across some of the world's biggest economies -- all in reader-friendly formats and across Bloomberg's different platforms. You'll be spearheading coverage of US-China tensions over chips and Taiwan, President Xi Jinping's increasing grip over China's economy, Japan's quest to wind back years of experimental monetary policy, Kim Jong Un's expanding nuclear arsenal and much more.
You have a strong understanding of economics and politics as well as a background in innovative journalism and experience leading reporting teams. You will also be fully committed to breaking down false borders between economics and government coverage and strengthening ties to other parts of the Newsroom - notably Markets, Tech, Commodities and Finance.
You excel in a fast-paced environment, having experience dealing with multiple breaking stories and a heavy calendar. You also have the ability to step back and generate deeper dives and thought-provoking enterprise and promote stories internally and externally across all of Bloomberg.
We'll trust you to:
- Drive and coordinate the coverage of Economy and Government across North Asia, including China, Japan, South Korea, Taiwan and Hong Kong.
- Be a thoughtful and dedicated leader determined to elevate our coverage across the region
- Work seamlessly with Team leaders across the beat to prioritize, plan and coordinate coverage priorities and editing resources
- Spot gaps and deliver innovative ways to improve our content and publish insightful stories
- Promote diversity of thought and representation throughout our coverage
- Build influential relationships across the newsroom including markets, commodities, business, and finance to ensure our coverage captures the context of local developments and resonates globally and across all platforms
You’ll need to have:
- At least 7 years of experience in business journalism
- Ability to and make sound news decisions quickly
- Proficiency in written and spoken English
- Ability to generate original story ideas and see them through
- Demonstrated continuous career growth within an organization
- Excellent editing skills and experience with features and story graphic
- Previous leadership experience
Life at Bloomberg is many things, but it’s never dull. We’re a truly global business with a truly diverse workforce. We pride ourselves on being open, inclusive and collaborative, and provide a work environment that inspires our employees to be their best. We offer competitive compensation, comprehensive healthcare coverage, and programs to support you and your family through different life stages, from parental leave to generous retirement savings plans.
If this sounds like you:
Apply if you think we're a good match. We'll get in touch to let you know what the next steps are, but in the meantime feel free to have a look at this: http://www.bloomberg.com/professional
Bloomberg is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, ancestry, color, gender identity or expression, genetic predisposition or carrier status, marital status, national or ethnic origin, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, sexual and other reproductive health decisions, parental or caring status, physical or mental disability, pregnancy or parental leave, protected veteran status, status as a victim of domestic violence, or any other classification protected by applicable law.
Bloomberg provides reasonable adjustment/accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable adjustment/accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable adjustment/accommodation include but are not limited to making a change to the application process work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment. If you would prefer to discuss this confidentially, please email AMER_recruit@bloomberg.net (Americas), EMEA_recruit@bloomberg.net (Europe, the Middle East and Africa), or APAC_recruit@bloomberg.net (Asia-Pacific), based on the region you are submitting an application for.