Political Columnist, Asia - Opinion - Hong Kong
Posted Sep 26, 2022 - Requisition No. 109115
Bloomberg News is the biggest financial and business news organization in the world. We lead the way in breaking news and providing analysis on financial markets, from intraday coverage through to in-depth features. We are known for our quality, accuracy and ability to deliver news investors can use. It's what keeps us inventing and re-inventing, all the time.
Bloomberg Opinion is looking for a talented columnist to join our Asia team to cover politics and power in China, Hong Kong and Taiwan. This role can be based in our Singapore, Hong Kong or Tokyo bureaus.
You'll write with insight and authority for an international audience, often through the prism of economics, finance and markets, and seek to deepen our readers' understanding of this important region. The geopolitical tensions between China and the US, along with other global powers, will be an important part of your focus.
You'll regularly appear on television, radio and social media, and will have the opportunity to collaborate with columnists in the region as well as Washington and other major global capitals.
You will also have an established network of decision makers, including politicians, diplomats and those in the security field.
We’ll trust you to:
- Write insightful Opinion pieces with an authoritative and engaging voice, including commentary on breaking news as well as deeper dives into specific issues.
- Use data, when appropriate, to illustrate important trends.
- Speculate about future developments, including unfolding trends involving innovation, strategy, privacy, power, diversity, security and policy.
- Cut through the noise to focus in on the most important news.
- Generate analysis that covers both fast-paced developments in short format and long-term trends and insights.
- At least 7 recent years of experience in journalism covering geopolitics in North Asia
- At least 7 years of experience working in a real-time news environment
- Proven experience at collaborating and working with regional teams to accomplish goals
- Proven ability to elevate already strong writing
- Fluency in both spoken and written English
- Demonstrated continuous career growth within an organisation
- Exceptional attention to detail
- Abundant perspective, opinions grounded in facts, a willingness to take a stand and the desire to make every column a must-read for a discerning audience.
You'll need to have:
We'd love to see:
- Grasp of Mandarin language to support coverage for North Asia
If this sounds like you:
Apply if you think we're a good match. We'll get in touch to let you know what the next steps are, but in the meantime feel free to have a look at this: www.blpcareers.com
Bloomberg is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, ancestry, color, gender identity or expression, genetic predisposition or carrier status, marital status, national or ethnic origin, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, sexual and other reproductive health decisions, parental or caring status, physical or mental disability, pregnancy or maternity/parental leave, protected veteran status, status as a victim of domestic violence, or any other classification protected by applicable law.
Bloomberg is a disability inclusive employer. Please let us know if you require any reasonable adjustments to be made for the recruitment process. If you would prefer to discuss this confidentially, please email email@example.com.