System Reliability Engineer (SRE) - Enterprise Market Depth - Hong Kong
Posted Mar 1, 2019 - Requisition No. 73875
Every day, Bloomberg distributes billions of prices to our clients, helping them understand fast-moving markets and take decisions in split-seconds. Delivering data accurately and in time is critical not only to our clients, but to the financial community at large.
In Enterprise Market Depth, we are developing a distributed, fault tolerant system that processes, analyses and publishes terabytes of data per day with minimal latency. To make sure we satisfy our clients’ need for speed as well as stability, we have very high standards for reliability and scalability - and that’s where SREs come in!
Who are we?
We are a new SRE team who believes that building stable and reliable systems is essential to our success. Our platform distributes market depth data – buy and sell orders as they are placed on exchanges around the world – back to all market participants. Our clients depend on us to trade and make automated investment decisions, and missing, late or incorrect data can have significant financial consequences. This is why our focus is defining and exceeding the expectations our clients have of performance, stability and correctness.
This year, our projects span from instrumenting our distribution infrastructure to improving our capacity through optimizations and horizontal scaling. We are also looking to enhance our automated fault detection to minimize client impact when things go wrong. As we are at the beginning of our SRE journey, this is an exciting time for us to help create a strong culture of quality and an engineering mind-set to solving problems.
Who are you?
An engineer who is passionate about using the right tool for the job and excited to translate customer satisfaction into quantitative metrics. We want you to help us shape this new team and have a desire to inspire change by promoting a reliability-focused approach. This is a great opportunity for us to not just improve the current system but also create a solid foundation for our engineers to continue building new and innovative products.
We'll trust you to:
- Examine our system to identify key indicators that reflect client expectations and work with our other engineering and product teams to define objectives
- Probe and instrument different components of the system to improve understanding and visibility of potential issues
- Produce tooling for monitoring and debugging with the aim of improving transparency of the system whilst minimising operational costs through automation
- Define standards based on reviews with application teams to ensure that scalability and performance aspects are considered during application design
You'll need to have:
- 3+ years of professional work experience in a software engineer or SRE role
- Proficiency in one or more programming languages, including some understanding of C++ or Python (most of our software is written in C++, but our SREs often use Python)
- A deep understanding of data structures, algorithms, and complexity analysis
- An understanding of how to manage the stability of performance sensitive distributed systems
If this sounds like you:
Apply if you think we're a good match. We'll get in touch to let you know what the next steps are.
See how Bloomberg bets big on SRE's: http://bit.ly/BBG_SRE
Bloomberg is a financial technology company. Our technology drives the world’s leading financial market participants. Our strength – delivering data, news and analytics through innovative technology, quickly and accurately – is at the core of the Bloomberg Professional service, which provides real time financial information to more than 310,000 subscribers globally. Bloomberg has one of the largest private networks in the world, and we process billions and billions of data from all over the globe.
See https://www.bloomberg.com/careers/technology/engineering/ to learn more about our Engineering culture and interview preparation.
Bloomberg is an equal opportunities employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Bloomberg is a disability inclusive employer. Please let us know if you require any adjustments to be made for the recruitment process by emailing email@example.com