System Reliability Engineer (SRE) - Market Data - Hong Kong
Posted Jun 11, 2020 - Requisition No. 82116
At Bloomberg, our software runs the financial markets. To do this, we ingest this real-time market data and news from hundreds of exchanges and thousands of newswires around the world – to the tune of 100 billion ticks of data per day. Our users and downstream applications rely on us to be reliable and always available - this is where our SREs come in. Our SREs ensure our product is fast, reliable, and always available.
The Real Time Market Data and News Feeds SRE team sits right at the heart of Bloomberg's global market data operations. Market Data is information - trades, quotes, and other pricing data - gathered from around the world on every possible kind of financial instrument, from stocks and bonds to currencies and commodities. We are responsible for meeting our clients’ need for speed and stability across the market data pipeline – from ingestion of real-time market data from hundreds of financial sources, through to enrichment and delivery of data to the clients.
As a System Reliability Engineer (SRE) at Bloomberg, your mission is to drive the automation of our production operations, everything from reaction to failures, deployment, testing, and quality checks. You will ensure the optimal availability, latency, scalability, and efficiency of more than ten thousand client-facing applications. We’ll expect you to own our production environment – from the initial design phases to ensuring continuous high availability. You should be comfortable working alongside other engineers to help fix and debug issues with the production environment.
We’ll trust you to:
- Create and maintain monitoring solutions to be used in production monitoring, capacity management, and incident detection and response
- Help us establish SLOs and SLIs that we can use to measure our quality as an organization, and contribute to engineering projects aimed at ensuring we meet those standards
- Investigate, triage, and troubleshoot production problems as they occur
- Develop and maintain tools used in investigating production problems
- Build automation for manual processes to increase reliability while at the same time reducing time to market and cost
- Help promote and improve development and operational standards within the wider group; you will work with your business partners and software engineers
- Ensure that support documentation is produced, maintained and improved
You’ll need to have:
- Excellent Python skills
- Proficiency in an OO language such as C++ or Java
- Familiarity with design and implementation of large scale distributed systems
- Familiarity with SRE concepts: production monitoring, capacity management, automated deployment, orchestration, configuration management, etc.
- Strong experience with Unix/Linux systems including command line and tools used in troubleshooting
- Knowledge and experience of applying agile practices to software development
We’d love to see:
- Excellent collaboration and partnering skills: you can effectively listen, communicate, challenge and influence team members, immediate peer group and senior managers
- That you are comfortable taking ownership and responsibility of issues
- A desire to learn new technologies and apply them where appropriate to improve the quality of our software and processes
- Market Data industry exposure or knowledge
- Practical knowledge of networking such as TCP/UDP/IP
If this sounds like you:
Apply if you think we're a good match! We'll get in touch to let you know what the next steps are.
You can check out more about how we work and what it means to be an SRE at Bloomberg in our blog post: http://bit.ly/BBG_SRE
Read about how our Feeds engineers keep Terminal data running smoothly around the world -> http://bit.ly/RTFeeds
Check out Bloomberg Engineering -> www.bloomberg.com/engineering
Read about the unique problems we’re solving -> http://bit.ly/TechAtBBG
Join our Hong Kong C++ Meetups group -> http://bit.ly/HK_Cplusplus
We believe interviewing is a two way street. It's a way for us to get to know you and your skills, and also a way for you to learn more about the team, our technical challenges, and what you'd be working on. The content of each interview round will be tailored to the role and your background, but the general framework can be found here: http://bit.ly/BBG_IVPREP_SrHire
We want to ensure you can put your best foot forward throughout the process, so if you have any questions or need any accommodations to be successful, please let us know!
Bloomberg is an equal opportunities employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.