Legal Reporter - Texas
Posted May 31, 2022 - Requisition No. 104070
The energy of a newsroom. The pace of a trading floor. At Bloomberg, we connect decision makers to a dynamic network of information, people and ideas. At the core of this network is our ability to deliver data, news and analytics through innovative technology – quickly and accurately. Around the clock, around the globe – we empower business leaders with breaking news, expert opinion and proprietary data distributed across platforms.
We're seeking an ambitious reporter to cover legal clashes that affect business and politics in the second-largest U.S. state. The ideal candidate will combine a thirst for breaking news with the tenacity to pursue and execute on big, impactful stories. You must have the ability to quickly recognize major court cases and write stories that are clear and contextual. The job can be based in Austin, Dallas or Houston.
You’ll need to keep calm under pressure and quickly translate complicated legal concepts into readily understandable prose that cuts to the heart of why any given case matters to the Bloomberg reader. The ideal candidate will be able to write both quick-hit pieces and longer stories that dive into compelling topics, profiles or court cases. We are looking for someone eager to collaborate across teams so every story is written with the sharpest insight.
WE’LL TRUST YOU TO:
- Stay on top of cases and break news on legal action across multiple courts in Texas and at the Fifth Circuit
- Be a resourceful, dynamic team-player and a self-starting individual contributor.
- Work under tight deadlines and collaborate with reporters and editors across many bureaus.
- 2 or more years of journalism experience, with previous courtroom knowledge a plus.
- Experience working in a real-time and agile news environment.
- Sound news judgment and a strong sense of urgency.
- Ability to track legal developments with great attention to detail.
- A Bachelor’s degree or equivalent professional experience.
YOU’LL NEED TO HAVE:
Does this sound like you?
Apply! If we believe you’re a good match we'll get in touch to let you know the next steps.
Bloomberg is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, ancestry, color, gender identity or expression, genetic predisposition or carrier status, marital status, national or ethnic origin, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, sexual and other reproductive health decisions, parental or caring status, physical or mental disability, pregnancy or maternity/parental leave, protected veteran status, status as a victim of domestic violence, or any other classification protected by applicable law.
Bloomberg is a disability inclusive employer. Please let us know if you require any reasonable adjustments to be made for the recruitment process. If you would prefer to discuss this confidentially, please email email@example.com (mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org).