Commodities Reporter - Jakarta
Posted Apr 12, 2023 - Requisition No. 115472
Bloomberg News is one of the biggest financial and business news organizations in the world. We lead the way in breaking news and providing analysis on financial markets, from daily coverage through to in-depth features. We are known for our quality, accuracy and ability to deliver news investors can use. It’s what keeps us inventing and re-inventing, all the time.
We are looking for a resourceful, enterprising journalist to join our team in Indonesia as a reporter with a focus on climate, commodities and energy.
This role is an opportunity to be at the cutting edge of the climate and energy transition story, covering everything from Jakarta’s nickel-to-Tesla ambitions to the landmark push by the world’s top coal exporter to wean itself off fossil fuels — with a little help from capital markets. You'll connect the dots from mines to electric cars. As part of a tight-knit team on the ground and a global network of reporters, you will help us chronicle one of the most exciting and dynamic energy transition stories in Asia, just as Indonesia heads into an election.
You will have strong writing skills, solid news judgement and a proven reporting track record, preferably in an emerging market. With impeccable attention to detail, you will write with insight and authority, giving our readers a clear view of the global political and economic implications of the changes taking place. Initiative and team skills are a must.
In this role, you will move seamlessly from this-just-in news to longer features, delivering insightful stories that go beyond headline figures. You’ll also work across multiple formats, including print, TV and podcasts.
We’ll trust you to:
- Be a key part of our commodities coverage in Asia, helping us to shape the global story
- Develop sources in the metals, mining and EV sectors, as well as among regulators, to produce exclusive stories
- Propose and produce stand-back features to highlight the biggest shifts happening in Indonesian metals and mining
- Work as a key member of the Jakarta bureau, including doing bureau shifts
- Be ready to jump on any story or assignment, big or small, as needed
- Be comfortable with using technology and new tools
You’ll need to have:
- At least 3 years’ experience in business, commodities or relevant reporting
- Ability to write quickly, accurately and concisely with attention to detail
- Ability to build sources
- Proficiency in both written and spoken English
- Ability to work with data, comfort with numbers
- Flexibility to learn new skills and adapt to changing job requirements
- Strong work ethic, ability to work steadily and calmly under pressure
- Demonstrated continuous career growth within an organisation
Knowledge of how financial markets, the economy and corporations function
We’d love to see:
- Experience of working on data journalism
- Additional language skills
- Experience working at a real-time news service
Life at Bloomberg is many things, but it’s never dull. We’re a truly global business with a truly diverse workforce. We pride ourselves on being open, inclusive and collaborative, and provide a work environment that inspires our employees to be their best. We offer competitive compensation, comprehensive healthcare coverage, and programs to support you and your family through different life stages, from parental leave to generous retirement savings plans.
If this sounds like you:
Apply if you think we're a good match. We'll get in touch to let you know what the next steps are, but in the meantime feel free to have a look at this: http://www.bloomberg.com/professional
Bloomberg is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, ancestry, color, gender identity or expression, genetic predisposition or carrier status, marital status, national or ethnic origin, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, sexual and other reproductive health decisions, parental or caring status, physical or mental disability, pregnancy or parental leave, protected veteran status, status as a victim of domestic violence, or any other classification protected by applicable law.
Bloomberg is a disability inclusive employer. Please let us know if you require any reasonable adjustments to be made for the recruitment process. If you would prefer to discuss this confidentially, please email email@example.com.