Macro-Economy Reporter, Jakarta
Posted Jan 3, 2020 - Requisition No. 80507
The energy of a newsroom. The pace of a trading floor. We work hard and we work fast, moving markets and chronicling the rise and fall of the people who make them. We are known for our quality, accuracy and ability to deliver news investors can use.
Bloomberg News is looking for a reporter to join its News team in Jakarta. We are seeking someone who has a keen news sense, good reporting skills, excellent writing ability, and who can pay attention to the details while seeing the big picture. You will be breaking news and writing features on a range of stories that are relevant to financial markets and investors.
You will need an eye for a good story, a can-do and collaborative attitude, and be able to work well under tight deadlines. You are at ease telling your stories on several platforms, whether it's breaking news for a professional audience, a blog post or being interviewed on TV.
You will cover Indonesia's central bank, finance and related economy ministries to chronicle the twists and turns of monetary and fiscal policies.
We'll trust you to:
- Be the main reporter on the ground for central bank and economic policy coverage in Indonesia
- Cover briefings by the central bank, statistics bureau and various ministries besides tracking and reporting the speaking engagements of key policymakers
- Have deep sources in the central bank and various economic ministries to break exclusive stories
- Produce stand-back features to highlight economic and monetary policies that will have a bearing on investor behavior
- Work as a key member of the Jakarta Bureau, including doing bureau shifts
- Be committed to the best journalist practices, sound judgement and willingness to learn
- Collaborate with other reporters and editors around the world
- Communicate well
- Be organized and vigilant in planning coverage needs on your beat
- Be ready to jump on any story or assignment beyond your core beat, big or small, as needed
- Be comfortable with using technology and new tools
You'll need to have:
- Minimum of three years’ experience in reporting
- Knowledge of how financial markets, the economy and corporations function
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent
- Ability to write quickly and concisely on deadline
- Fluency in written and spoken Bahasa Indonesian and English
- Ability to work with data, comfort with numbers
- Proven flexibility to learn new skills and adapt to changing job requirements
We'd love to see:
- Experience of working on data journalism
- Additional language skills
If this sounds like you:
Apply if you think we're a good match. We'll get in touch to let you know what the next steps are, but in the meantime feel free to have a look at this: http://www.bloomberg.com/careers/
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Bloomberg is a disability inclusive employer. Please let us know if you require any adjustments to be made for the recruitment process by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.