Africa Correspondents Editor - Johannesburg
Posted Jun 18, 2019 - Requisition No. 75642
Bloomberg News is one of the largest and most-influential news organizations in the world, with a significant presence in Africa. We have a team of more than 70 correspondents and stringers throughout sub-Saharan Africa who break news, cover scheduled events such as economic data releases, and provide enterprise reporting from Ethiopia to Senegal, Congo to Cape Town.
We’re seeking an experienced editor to help manage this team of journalists. The successful candidate will be tenacious about breaking news, have good organizational and communication skills and be comfortable providing the global context in stories that Bloomberg readers and viewers demand. The editor will work in full cooperation and coordination with bureau chiefs in Accra, Johannesburg, Lagos and Nairobi to assign, edit and direct daily reporting.
We’ll trust you to:
- Find and assign essential breaking news and feature stories throughout the region
- Edit some, though not all, the stories assigned to correspondents and stringers
- Communicate daily and long-term assignments given correspondents to a diverse group of editors, including the executive editor for Africa, to whom you will report directly
- Work collegially with bureau chiefs, team leaders and editors throughout Africa and the EMEA region and across all our media platforms, from the Bloomberg terminal to the Web, TV and magazines
- Coordinate with bureau chiefs and our risk-management team to insure that all our journalists have the means and equipment to do their jobs and are safe and secure in completing their assignments
You’ll need to have:
- A bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
- Journalism experience, preferably with considerable time in Africa, in a real-time news environment
- Excellent news judgment
- An ability to work across teams and platforms
- Good organizational and communication skills
If this sounds like you:
- Apply! If we think you’re a good match, we’ll get in touch with you to let you know next steps. In the meantime, check out:
Bloomberg is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability status.