Africa Economics & Government Editor - Johannesburg
Posted Feb 5, 2020 - Requisition No. 81169
Bloomberg News is seeking an experienced, dynamic editor to join our Africa Economics & Government team in Johannesburg.
In most of sub-Saharan Africa, economics and politics go hand-in-hand. This role is designed for someone who has an interest in both and understands the significance of political events to the economy, and vice-versa. The editor will be primarily responsible for economic developments, but will work closely with our government and politics team in Africa and around the world.
We'll trust you to:
- Handle fast-moving news including economic data releases, flash breaking news headlines on business, the economy and politics and edit quick, smart analyses
- Conceptualize and execute production of scoops, interviews and enterprise pieces from the region
- Contribute to global stories with the economics team at Bloomberg
- Ensure coverage is accessible to sophisticated market participants as well as general readers, so we'll depend on you to help explain economic developments to both audiences
- Use strong news judgment to guide reporters and make quick decisions on questions of coverage and format
You'll need to have:
- Top-notch editing skills and the ability to handle this-just-in under time pressure, as well as to bring sweep to long-form pieces
- Knowledge of economy, politics and financial markets
- Experience reporting and/or editing business and economy stories
- The ability to work gracefully under pressure, and to operate well as part of a team
- The ability to make coverage decisions with sound news judgment and confidence
An aptitude for sifting through data to find trends and break news, and a knack for visualizing compelling graphics to illustrate them, will count in your favor.
If this sounds like you:
Apply today! We're eager to speak with you.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.