Economy Reporter - Johannesburg
Posted Aug 2, 2018 - Requisition No. 68535
We're seeking an experienced reporter to cover economics in South Africa.
You will be based in Johannesburg and follow the central bank and Finance Ministry to build sources and break news in Africa's industrialized economy. You will work closely with the government team in South Africa as economics and politics often overlap in the country. You will also work with team mates and reporters in other countries in sub-Saharan Africa to cover regional trends and news, while contributing to our global coverage of economics.
The successful candidate will have a strong understanding of what drives the economy and how that fits in within the broader picture.
We'll trust you to:
- Break news
- Cover central bank decisions, key economic indicators and key policy makers. You will also be expected to develop thematic stories as South Africa's economy develops under new leadership
- Be comfortable collaborating with TV and radio, and across all our other platforms
You'll need to have:
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience
- Journalism experience, preferably in a real-time news environment
- An ability to cultivate sources and work across teams and platforms
- Experience covering the economy is preferable
If this sounds like you:
Apply! We'll be in touch with next steps if you're a fit.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.