Finance Reporter - Johannesburg
Posted Mar 14, 2018 - Requisition No. 65959
The energy of a newsroom. The buzz of breaking a big story. We work hard and fast to set the news agenda. We are known for our quality, accuracy and ability to deliver news investors can use.
We're seeking an experienced reporter for our Johannesburg office to cover Africa's financial services industry. In this role, you'd be responsible for covering the sector in South Africa -- from the biggest banks to the upstarts that are challenging the status quo, to asset managers and insurers. You'll help support reporters in other African countries to break news on the industry throughout the continent.
You'll be expected to have a solid understanding of South Africa's financial industry, including markets. Contacts among the sector's key decision-makers, including investors whose decisions and opinions drive asset prices, would be an advantage.
You will be part of a broader team that reports on the industry across Europe, Middle East and Africa. You will be working in close cooperation with reporters and editors in the Johannesburg bureau as well as across teams. From headlines, to smart graphics and longer-form narratives, you'll own your beat from breaking the news to producing timely analysis, contributing to our magazines, television and the web platforms to leverage our coverage.
We'll trust you to:
- Deliver accurate and sharp stories under tight deadlines
- Generate analysis covering both fast-paced developments in short format and long-term trends and insights, that don't just focus on the "what happened" but also on the "why" and "so what"
- Tap Bloomberg's rich data and analytics to access original material for technical charts and stories
- Collaborate with reporters across the newsroom and the finance teams
You’ll need to have:
- A Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience
- Reporting experience, preferably covering financial markets or companies
- Strong work ethic, ability to work steadily and calmly under pressure
- Strong attention to detail
- A collaborative team spirit and the drive to innovate and experiment
If this sounds like you:
Apply if you think we're a good match. We'll get in touch to let you know what the next steps are, but in the meantime feel free to have a look at this: https://www.bloomberg.com/careers/about
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status