Producer - Johannesburg
Posted Jan 4, 2023 - Requisition No. 113069
The energy of a newsroom. The pace of a trading floor. We work hard, and we work fast — while keeping up the creativity and entrepreneurialism we're known for. It's what keeps us inventing and reinventing, all the time.
Bloomberg LP has built a significant media business spanning television, digital, magazine, radio and live event platforms across the globe. In the midst of a historic time in the media industry, Bloomberg Media is growing its global footprint and reach through new innovations from Quicktake to New Economy to our rapidly growing consumer subscription business.
Bloomberg Television and Radio is seeking a highly motivated producer to join our Johannesburg bureau. The successful applicant will be passionate about storytelling, able to capture the drama of politics while cutting through to the implications of policy for our global audience of investors. A fascination about business, finance and the economy is vital and you'll have exceptional organizational and communication skills to help direct our newsgathering. You'll need a breadth of experience of TV and video production from outside broadcasts to cutting video and preparing graphics with experience of translating that to social content. The role requires a willingness to work early morning and evening shifts, as well as the flexibility to travel.
We'll trust you to:
- Provide editorial guidance on events and take on planning responsibilities as needed
- Produce content live TV and digital platforms with a strong focus on social, including managing the edits of pre-recorded interviews
- Field produce at news events across the African continent as needed, managing logistics, producing live reporter hits and communicating with the relevant newsdesk and platform teams
- Book newsmakers, producing live and prerecorded in-field or studio as required
- Research and arrange access to live feeds from external sources
- Communicate with global editorial, production staff, on-air talent and colleagues from across Bloomberg's media platforms to ensure we maximize the impact of our content around the world
You'll need to have:
- 3+ years of relevant broadcast production experience or equivalent
- Local-language proficiency is advantageous
- Strong writing and edit supervising skills and the ability to creatively use video and graphics
- Flexibility with hours is essential
- A professional attitude that is highly collaborative and creative
- A willingness to take initiative and be a self-starter
- Ability to work under deadline pressure
- Previous financial journalism experience is preferred
If this sounds like you:
Apply if you think we're a good match. We'll get in touch to let you know that the next steps are
Bloomberg is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, ancestry, color, gender identity or expression, genetic predisposition or carrier status, marital status, national or ethnic origin, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, sexual and other reproductive health decisions, parental or caring status, physical or mental disability, pregnancy or parental leave, protected veteran status, status as a victim of domestic violence, or any other classification protected by applicable law.
Bloomberg is a disability inclusive employer. Please let us know if you require any reasonable adjustments to be made for the recruitment process. If you would prefer to discuss this confidentially, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.