Financial, Breaking News Editor - Kuala Lumpur
Posted Jul 6, 2021 - Requisition No. 91969
The energy of a newsroom. The pace of a trading floor. We work hard and we work fast, moving markets and chronicling the rise and fall of the people who make them. We are known for our quality, accuracy and ability to deliver news investors can use.
We are seeking an editor to cover Malaysia's markets, business and financial news, straddling stocks, fx/rates, commodities and companies in Kuala Lumpur. We are seeking someone who has a keen news sense, who can juggle headlining, editing and writing, and who can pay attention to the details while seeing the big picture.
You will be handling breaking news that range from market moves to political developments, from palm oil data to stock-exchange filings. You will be pitching and writing step-back pieces on the markets and business trends. You will need an eye for a good story, a can-do and collaborative attitude, and be able to work well under tight deadlines. You are at ease telling your stories on several platforms, whether it's breaking news for a professional audience, a blog post or being interviewed on TV.
We'll trust you to do the following as part of a versatile team, playing to your strengths and experience:
- Be one of the main editors and reporters for markets coverage in Malaysia
- Handle this-just-in headlines from stock exchange filings, press briefings, media statements, government agencies and credible industry sources
- Cover briefings from companies and regulators across industries as needed
- Pitch, write and edit stories, including on stocks and fx/rates and credit markets
- Develop sources in the financial markets and among regulators to produce exclusive stories that will affect investors in Malaysia
- Work as a key member of the Kuala Lumpur bureau, including doing bureau shifts
- Be committed to the best journalist practices, sound judgment and willingness to learn
- Collaborate with other reporters and editors around the world
- Communicate well
- Be organized and vigilant in planning coverage needs on your beat
- Be ready to jump on any story or assignment, big or small, as needed
- Be comfortable with using technology and new tools
You'll need to have:
- Minimum of three years’ experience in reporting
- Proven ability to write clean, clear and accurate stories
- Knowledge of how financial markets, the economy and corporations function
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent
- Ability to write quickly and concisely on deadline
- Fluency in written and spoken English is essential
- Ability to work with data, comfort with numbers
- Proven flexibility to learn new skills and adapt to changing job requirements
We'd love to see:
- Experience of working in real-time financial journalism
- Additional language skills -- Bahasa Malaysia or a similar language would be an advantage
If this sounds like you:
Apply if you think we're a good match. We'll get in touch to let you know what the next steps are, but in the meantime feel free to have a look at this: http://www.bloomberg.com/careers/
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Bloomberg is a disability inclusive employer. Please let us know if you require any adjustments to be made for the recruitment process by emailing email@example.com.