Africa Economist - Johannesburg
Posted Sep 25, 2019 - Requisition No. 78502
With more than 100 economics reporters and 25 economists worldwide, Bloomberg has an unrivalled capacity to explain where the global economy is now and where it might be heading.
Bloomberg Economics offers a comprehensive macroeconomic research service for Bloomberg Terminal subscribers. That includes rigorous and original thematic research, supporting detailed national and regional economic forecasts. The economists also produce previews of major data releases or economic events and analysis as the key numbers break. The goal is to offer Bloomberg clients a deeper insight into the themes that drive policy, financial markets and capital flows.
We'll trust you to:
- Focus on the economies of Sub-Saharan Africa, particularly South Africa and Nigeria
- Produce insightful thematic research, economic forecasts and speedy analysis of major data releases and central bank meetings
- Collaborate on projects with the broader Bloomberg Economics group – contributing quotes to news stories and from time to time working on joint projects with economics reporters
- Appear at conferences, on television and in print media, as well as meeting with clients
You'll need to have:
- Relevant experience in economic analysis, with proven expertise in analyzing African economic data, monetary and fiscal policies and the bigger structural challenges
- The energy and initiative needed to provide a consistent flow of high-quality analysis, eschewing ideological or political points of view
- The ability to write clearly and concisely in English to generate content across a variety of formats, ranging from rapid turnaround responses to economic events to longer-term collaborative research into major global economic trends
- A masters-level degree in economics, a PhD or equivalent experience
- Applications from those with policy experience and strong econometric skills are encouraged
If this sounds like you:
Apply if you think we're a good match. We'll get in touch to let you know what the next steps are.
Bloomberg is an equal opportunities employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.