Agriculture – Strategic Analysis Intern
Posted May 8, 2019 - Requisition No. 75018
Bloomberg NEF (BNEF) is a leading independent provider of primary research and data analytics across energy, commodities, advanced transport, digital industry and innovative materials.
With a team of experts spread across six continents, BNEF leverages the world’s most sophisticated data sets to create clear perspectives and in-depth forecasts that frame the financial, economic and policy implications of industry-transforming trends and technologies. Visit https://about.bnef.com/ or request more information.
BNEF Team Ethos:
To succeed at BNEF we need people who can work in an independent manner and show initiative to develop their own viewpoints, yet be collaborative with colleagues. We don’t rely on the status quo, we look for innovative yet pragmatic thinking that turns big ideas into real insights and impact. Working at BNEF sometimes feels chaotic; we need teams that are both dynamic and structured to generate the unique perspectives our clients really value. Our teams are diverse, creative, focused, and passionate.
We are seeking a talented, highly motivated individual to join our London office this summer, and help us develop new insights into the Agriculture sector. Agriculture, including forestry and land use, are responsible for a quarter of global carbon emissions, and yet there has been little progress on reducing these emissions. You’ll be responsible for mapping out the opportunities in Agriculture and the possible innovations and approaches to decarbonizing the sector.
We'll trust you to:
Produce a study on the global agriculture + food industry value chain, its carbon emissions footprint, possible pathways to decarbonization, and other technological drivers of change such as AI and drone technology. Responsibilities will include the following:
- Gather data, information and perspectives by conducting desk research and interviewing a wide range of players within the agriculture and food sector
- Produce quantitative analysis and charts summarizing industry size and segmentation, emissions, geographical/regional splits and other aspects
- Produce qualitative analysis and perspectives on aspects of the sector, such as key drivers of change (policy, technology, economics, climate-related)
- Map the key actors across the value chain of the agriculture and food sector
- Develop a strong understanding of the possible pathways to decarbonizing the agriculture and food sectors, and of the technological drivers of change in the sector
- Understand other environmental risks and opportunities to the sector, including climate risk
- Analyze the possible impacts of the above trends on key agricultural commodity markets
- Deliver a final report covering these topics, both in written format and presented verbally, to an internal audience of BNEF management
What’s the role:
As a BNEF analyst intern, your primary role will be research and data-gathering, development of new insights, and communication of these insights in written and verbal format.
You’ll be part of the BNEF analyst team for the summer, and will be exposed to their insights, their way of working and the skills training they undertake.
You’ll work on this project with the global head of analysis at BNEF, as well as senior members of the analyst and management team.
You'll need to have:
- A degree or work experience in a relevant discipline, such as economics, environmental science, engineering, agriculture or land economics
- A strong sense of curiosity, an ability to quickly assimilate information and ask the next question to dive deeper into a topic
- Rigorous attention to detail, a commitment to high quality work – and confidence making judgments even when information is imperfect
- Ability to structure and plan your work, make progress independently and seek guidance when needed
- Strong quantitative skills, as well as the ability to analyze issues qualitatively
- A track record of thinking critically and developing thoughtful opinions by cutting through the noise of data, extracting key patterns, applying skepticism to the claims of industry participants and pursuing insightful questions
- Strong communication skills in English: writing (for research reports), reading (to conduct research) and speaking (for presentations at conferences, to clients, or to the media)
We’d love to see:
- Post-graduate qualifications
- Professional experience in the agriculture or food sector, or other experience related to energy, environment and economics
Does this sound like you?
Apply if you think we're a good match. We'll get in touch to let you know what the next steps are!
In the meantime feel free to have a look at this:
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Bloomberg is a disability inclusive employer. Please let us know if you require any reasonable adjustments to be made for the recruitment process. If you would prefer to discuss this confidentially, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Alternatively, you can get support from our disability partner EmployAbility, please contact +44 7852 764 684 or email@example.com.