Automated Language Processing & Classification Analyst - Italian
Posted Jun 1, 2018 - Requisition No. 67372
Bloomberg runs on data, and in the Global Data team we're responsible for acquiring it and providing it to our clients. We collect, analyse, process and publish the data which is the backbone of our iconic Bloomberg Terminal- the facts and figures which ultimately move the financial markets. We apply problem-solving skills to identify innovative workflow efficiencies and we implement technology solutions to enhance our systems, products and processes- and all this while providing platinum customer support to our clients.
Deliver the Italian news that matters most to our clients. You’re the type of person who always knows about the latest news trends and has a real passion for text analysis and technology. Help to build the product which, in an instant, can deliver news to change the direction of our clients’ critically important business decisions.
Do you have the creativity and the technical skill to help us build upon our extensive news classification processes? If so, we are looking for you!
What’s the Role?
As a member of our News Indexing team, you will be responsible for classification of the world's most important Italian-language financial and economic news with the aim of further entrenching Bloomberg as the leader in the financial news market. You will use specialized software in order to create hierarchical rules that automatically classify Bloomberg and third-party news, as well as data from social media sites. You need to have a keen interest in news and perform research in order to identify news topics that are relevant to the Italian market and modify or create news classification rules accordingly. You will also identify opportunities to create efficiency in our processes and execute on your ideas.
In order to build the strongest local-language products, you will closely collaborate with our partners in Product Strategy, Sales and Engineering to build a market-leading Italian news classification product.
You will have the opportunity to join the team working in the fields of statistical classification, natural language processing, data science, machine learning and text analysis to help build the next-generation of Bloomberg’s proprietary news classification products.
What we do in Content Indexing
We use internal and open-source software to automatically retrieve, parse, organize and tag news from social media sites, news feeds, web sites and other sources that run on the Bloomberg Professional Service. We also build and maintain our complex taxonomy of classification tags according to our clients’ needs. Our work is not theoretical or hyper-specific – it is practical and impactful.
The position also offers opportunities to learn new technologies and you will work collaboratively across teams, departments and regions.
What we look for:
- Bachelor’s degree in disciplines such as Linguistics, Mathematics, Statistics, Computer Science, Business, Finance, Data Science, Library Science, or other computer-related specialization
- Native ability in spoken and written Italian
- Strong interest/ knowledge in financial and economic news
- Excellent problem solving skills and ability to pay close attention to detail
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Proven understanding of customer service and experience in building strong relationships with stakeholders
- Professional project management experience in information management, with the proven ability to deliver within tight deadlines
We'd love to find someone who has:
- Knowledge of Italian market trends, themes and drivers
- Experience in editing, writing, curating or assigning news stories
- Experience in using categorization, filtering or mining software (such as OpenCalais, Datasift, GNIP, Inxight, IDOL, Verity, Clear Forest, Microsoft Fast)
- Experience working on data science projects and technologies, especially using NLP techniques to deal with unstructured text
Does this sound like you?
Apply if you think we're a good match. We'll get in touch to let you know what the next steps are!
In the meantime feel free to have a look at this:
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Bloomberg is a disability inclusive employer. Please let us know if you require any reasonable adjustments to be made for the recruitment process.
If you would prefer to discuss this confidentially, please email email@example.com. Alternatively, you can get support from our disability partner EmployAbility, please contact +44 7852 764 684 or firstname.lastname@example.org.