We are seeking a talented, highly motivated individual to join our analysis team. You're one of those people who have a passion for energy markets, and you want to be at the forefront of this exciting industry. You naturally form original opinions, and you have an exceptional ability to communicate these to your audience. Your quantitative skills are strong, and you love to analyze critically complex subjects. Teamwork is important to you, and you are excited by the prospect of working with colleagues and clients from a diverse range of backgrounds.
You will be based in our London office as part of the European gas analyst team, for Bloomberg New Energy Finance - the world's leading independent provider of analysis, tools, data and research to decision makers leading the future of energy. Our team of experts, spread across six continents, provides independent analysis and insight, working with the largest corporations across utilities and generation, oil & gas, equipment manufacturers, banking and finance, and government.
What's the role?
- Together with other team members, identify topics of interest to clients, conduct research, and report on the findings in a timely manner
- Develop and implement market-driving products, data sets, forecasts, and tools
- Lead collaboration on cross-sectoral themes with a high degree of professionalism with colleagues and clients from different cultures and countries
- Promote high degree of knowledge leadership in the market
- Develop a network of contacts in the industry and promote/represent BNEF across a wide variety of senior stakeholders
- Contribute to one-off pieces of consultancy on specific topics
- Present your research at conferences and clearly communicate it to clients and prospects
We'll trust you to:
- Develop your expertise on the European gas market, working as an analyst within the London team and leading both cross-sectoral research themes and leading focus on the themes impacting the medium to longer term market
- Develop models and conceptual frameworks to further our clients understanding of short- and medium- term fundamental dynamics
- Deliver both quantitative and qualitative research, using and enhancing our databases and modelling tools to develop high quality research reports and information useful to our industry-wide client base
- Effectively communicate views and findings on gas market developments to clients, both contributing to regular views on short-to-medium term as well as thought leadership on medium-to-longer term themes
- Collaborate effectively within Bloomberg New Energy Finance on cross-specialism themes that impact the European gas market – geopolitical, regulatory and policy developments, the energy transition in the power sector and the evolving global LNG market. Support annual flagship BNEF publications
You'll need to have:
- An advanced degree in sciences, math, engineering, economics or business or equivalent experience
- Understanding of the gas, power or LNG markets and experience as an analyst within an energy, consulting, investment or financial services organization
- A track record of thinking critically and developing thoughtful opinions by cutting through the noise of data, extracting key patterns, applying scepticism to the claims of industry participants and asking insightful questions
- Curiosity and the ability to quickly understand, distil and relate complex topics to non-specialist audiences
- Confidence conducting research calls and communicating with senior industry contacts and academics
- Strong communication skills in English: writing (for research reports), reading (to conduct research) and speaking (for presentations at conferences, to clients, or to the media)
- Ability to act as a thought-leader and self-starter, have a high work-rate, able to work on parallel tasks
- Strong quantitative skills; comfortable with large datasets and complex models
- A natural aptitude for graphically presenting data and writing clearly and concisely
- Rigorous attention to detail and a commitment to high quality work
- Experience in statistical and fundamental modelling
- Advanced skills in Excel and a working capacity to use statistical computing environments.
We'd love to see:
- Experience with programming languages such as VBA, R, Matlab, Python or use of statistical computing packages
- Post-graduate qualifications or professional experience in sciences, engineering, business or economics
- Professional experience in the commodities, oil and gas, finance industries
If this sounds like you:
Apply if you think we're a good match. We'll get in touch to let you know what the next steps are, but in the meantime feel free to have a look at this:
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.