Bloomberg NEF Advanced Materials Analyst
Posted Sep 6, 2018 - Requisition No. 70206
Bloomberg NEF (BNEF) is a leading provider of primary research on clean energy, advanced transport, digital industry, innovative materials, and commodities.
With a team of experts spread across six continents, BNEF leverages the world’s most sophisticated data sets to create clear perspectives and in-depth forecasts that frame the financial, economic and policy implications of industry-transforming trends and technologies.
Available online, on mobile and on the Terminal, BNEF is powered by Bloomberg’s global network of 19,000 employees in 176 locations, reporting 5,000 news stories a day. Visit https://about.bnef.com/ or request more information.
BNEF Team Ethos:
To succeed at BNEF we need people who can work in an independent manner and show initiative to develop their own viewpoints, yet be collaborative with colleagues. We don’t rely on the status quo, we look for innovative yet pragmatic thinking that turns big ideas into real insights and impact. Working at BNEF sometimes feels chaotic; we need teams that are both dynamic and structured to generate the unique perspectives our clients really value. Our teams are diverse, creative, focused, and fun!
We are seeking a talented, highly motivated individual to join our Advanced Materials team in our London office, which focuses on performance materials, manufacturing, and the economics of sustainability. The team produces research for clients in industry, government and finance, covering new materials technology and its impact on energy, emissions, and industry. This includes tracking investment flows, understanding the underlying economics of different materials options, analyzing the impacts of policy, and covering company activities and business strategies.
We'll trust you to:
- Become a specialist on new materials, advanced manufacturing, and sustainability economics.
- Build and maintain datasets and models to further our clients’ understanding of the impact of materials and manufacturing on emissions and industries
- Produce industry research, both quantitative and qualitative, by building a network of research contacts and using public and proprietary data sources
- Effectively communicate views and findings on technology developments via reports, news stories, datasets, and direct client and media interactions
- Keep apprised of emerging materials and manufacturing technologies at the lab and R&D scale
- Act as a self-starter, have a high work-rate and have the ability to work on parallel tasks with attention to detail
What's the role:
- Together with other team members, identify topics of interest to clients, conduct analysis and gather data, and present findings in written reports
- Assess the business opportunity for - and impact of - new materials and processes on existing industries, and keep an eye on the horizon for breakthrough technologies
- Quantify sustainability for our clients by considering the performance, cost, and environmental impact of ‘green’ materials
- Develop forecasts for material demand and substitution
- Collaborate with a high degree of professionalism with colleagues and clients from different cultures and countries
- Relate our work to BNEF’s wider coverage and forecasts in energy, transport, and commodities
- Develop a network of contacts in the industry and promote/represent BNEF across a wide variety of senior stakeholders
- Present your research at conferences and clearly communicate it to clients and prospects
You'll need to have:
- A degree in a scientific discipline, engineering, or economics
- A solid understanding of materials science and chemistry fundamentals
If this sounds like you:
Apply if you think we're a good match. We'll get in touch to let you know what the next steps are, but in the meantime feel free to have a look at this:
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.