Bloomberg NEF Low-Carbon Heat Analyst
Posted Aug 31, 2018 - Requisition No. 69655
Bloomberg NEF (BNEF) is seeking a talented, highly motivated individual to join our London-based analyst team covering low-carbon heat. The successful candidate will be responsible for developing research coverage on the decarbonization of heat in buildings and industry, including building datasets and authoring research reports.
Bloomberg NEF (BNEF) is a leading provider of primary research on clean energy, advanced transport, digital industry, innovative materials, and commodities. With a team of experts spread across six continents, BNEF leverages the world’s most sophisticated data sets to create clear perspectives and in-depth forecasts that frame the financial, economic and policy implications of industry-transforming trends and technologies.
Available online, on mobile and on the Terminal, BNEF is powered by Bloomberg’s global network of 19,000 employees in 176 locations, reporting 5,000 news stories a day. Visit https://about.bnef.com or request more information.
To succeed at BNEF we need people who can work in an independent manner and show initiative to develop their own viewpoints, yet be collaborative with colleagues. We don’t rely on the status quo, we look for innovative yet pragmatic thinking that turns big ideas into real insights and impact. Working at BNEF sometimes feels chaotic; we need teams that are both dynamic and structured to generate the unique perspectives our clients really value. Our teams are diverse, creative, focused, and fun!
What’s the role?
You will join as an analyst in our Low-Carbon Heat team, covering the decarbonization of heat, including space and water heating and industrial process heat. The research area has a triple focus: on today’s efforts and technologies for decarbonizing heat; on the viability of different future pathways to decarbonizing heat, and on the potential energy system impacts of these pathways. Your role will involve building datasets, conducting independent research, generating insightful findings, and producing written reports of publishable quality. You’ll interact directly with BNEF clients to help them understand your research findings and their implications.
You will collaborate with a high degree of professionalism with colleagues and clients from different cultures and countries, in person and remotely. You’ll need to leverage the expertise of numerous BNEF colleagues. You’ll also develop an external network of industry contacts in order to gather insights, identify trends and collect information.
We will trust you to:
- Become an expert on heating technologies and related commodity markets (gas, power), and the main options for decarbonizing heat
- Research, analyze and write about the latest developments in the sector, including the economics of heating technologies, policy developments, technology and adoption trends, impact of commodity prices and competitive analysis of key player strategies
- Build and maintain useful datasets that help our clients understand the heating sector
- Write and publish reports in English; conduct fundamental market analysis in Excel
- Explain your research to clients via email, telephone and in-person meetings
- Deliver presentations at industry events
- Build a reputation in industry for your insightful commentary and analysis of the sector
You’ll need to have:
- Intellectual curiosity, interest in and enthusiasm for the energy industry; a desire to become a leading expert on low-carbon heat
- Proven quantitative skills, either in industry analysis or from other fields
- Degree in a related field (preferred)
- Excellent communication skills: writing (for research reports, in English) and speaking (for presentations at conferences, to clients, or to the media)
- Strong teamwork and ability to work with peers across different teams, cultures and geographies
- Ability to think critically and develop thoughtful opinions by cutting through the noise of data, finding key patterns, applying judgment to the claims of industry participants and asking insightful questions
- Ability to distill and communicate complex topics to non-specialist audiences
- Good time management skills, initiative and ability to work on multiple projects at once
If this sounds like you:
Apply if you think we're a good match. We'll get in touch to let you know what the next steps are, but in the meantime feel free to have a look at this:
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.