Bloomberg New Energy Finance: Digital Industry Associate
Bloomberg NEF (BNEF) is a leading provider of primary research on clean energy, advanced transport, digital industry, innovative materials, and commodities. With a team of experts spread across six continents, BNEF leverages the world’s most sophisticated data sets to create clear perspectives and in-depth forecasts that frame the financial, economic and policy implications of industry-transforming trends and technologies. Available online, on mobile and on the Terminal, BNEF is powered by Bloomberg’s global network of 19,000 employees in 176 locations, reporting 5,000 news stories a day. Visit https://about.bnef.com/ or request more information via https://about.bnef.com/contact/.
You're someone with an enthusiasm for and knowledge of digital technologies, and an interest in industries like energy, oil & gas, manufacturing and mining. You like to develop original opinions, and you have an exceptional ability to communicate these to your audience, through writing and oral presentations. Your quantitative skills are strong, and you love to delve into complex subjects and have your own industry network. Teamwork is important to you, and you are experienced at working with colleagues and clients from a wide range of backgrounds.
We are seeking a talented, highly-motivated associate to join the BNEF analysis team and write research on the Internet of Things, machine learning, robotics and their impact on industrial processes, energy consumption, jobs, business models and environmental considerations. You will be based in our London office, working as part of the Digital Industry research team at Bloomberg NEF. This team covers industrial company strategy, utility business models regarding digitalization and tracks venture funding for technology startups.
We'll trust you to:
- Already have knowledge about digital technologies, software analytics and connectivity. Topics may include the industrial internet of things, machine learning, robotics, blockchain, data privacy and others.
- Have knowledge of how industries work, whether that is manufacturing, oil & gas, electricity or mining sectors. And be ready to write research on the mechanics, business models, supply chains and strategies of these sectors.
- Identify market players, analyze their strategies and product offerings, and compare relative strengths and weaknesses.
- Write in an engaging and developed manner so that the work is both informative and easy to read and understand
- Understand how these technologies will impact industries such as energy, oil & gas and manufacturing – and quantify and forecast these business opportunities
- Monitor and record partnerships within the sector, owning datasets and models to help our clients understanding of company strategy and activity
- Collect and analyze quantitative information on technology costs
- Write and publish reports in English about technology and products globally, covering functionality, economic analysis, company profiling and market player strategies
- From the beginning, engage with clients and industry figures regularly, through visiting their offices, speaking at conferences, attending working groups, presenting content to clients and prospects
- Work with colleagues in your team and other teams to identify and highlight the potential impact of the technologies your team covers on the other topics that BNEF writes about
What's the role?
- You will join as an associate in our global Digital Industry team, working closely with the analysts on the team, and analysts, associates and team leaders from a number of teams across BNEF.
- As part of a team, you will conduct individual industry research and produce written reports on the findings. We will expect you to be inventive and bold about choosing research topics that appeal to our clients.
- Develop a network of contacts in the industry in order to check assumptions, gather insights and get confidential and non-confidential information
- Gather and organize data on the industry, creating tools, models, and visualizations
- Collaborate with a high degree of professionalism with colleagues and clients from different cultures and countries
- Clearly communicate your research to clients and prospects through your writing and your presentation skills, in person and over the phone
Note: this is not a technical role in engineering or software programming
You'll need to have:
- Degree in a quantitative subject like engineering, sciences, maths, or computer science
- Work experience in the relevant industries of power, oil, gas or manufacturing. Or experience in the technology industry. Or work experience writing about digital technologies for research and consulting firms.
- Knowledge of software technologies, focused on data solutions, internet of things, machine learning or related areas
- Interest and knowledge of large and small technology and industrial companies, their business models and product offerings
- Exceptional communication skills: writing (for research reports, in English) and speaking (for presentations at conferences, to clients, or to the media)
- Confidence conducting both numerical and qualitative analysis
- Ability to think critically and develop thoughtful opinions by cutting through the noise of data, finding key patterns, applying judgment to the claims of industry participants and asking insightful questions
- Natural aptitude for graphically presenting data and writing clearly and concisely
- Ability to quickly understand, distill and communicate complex topics to non-specialist audiences
- Confidence in conducting research calls and communicating with senior industry contacts, early stage companies and academics
- Excellent time management skills and ability to work on multiple projects at once
We'd love to see:
- Graduate degree in a quantitative subject
- Other European language skills
- Understanding of capital markets, project finance, and investing
BNEF Team Ethos:
To succeed at BNEF we need people who can work in an independent manner and show initiative to develop their own viewpoints, yet be collaborative with colleagues. We don’t rely on the status quo, we look for innovative yet pragmatic thinking that turns big ideas into real insights and impact. Working at BNEF sometimes feels chaotic; we need teams that are both dynamic and structured to generate the unique perspectives our clients really value. Our teams are diverse, creative, focused, and fun!
If this sounds like you:
Apply if you think we're a good match. We'll get in touch to let you know what the next steps are, but in the meantime feel free to have a look at this:
Bloomberg is an equal opportunities employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.