You're someone with a real enthusiasm for new technologies, and you are curious to understand how these will impact energy and other industries. You like to develop original opinions, and you have an exceptional ability to communicate these to your audience, through writing and oral presentations. Your quantitative skills are strong, and you love to delve into complex subjects and build your own network in the industry. Teamwork is important to you, and you are excited by the prospect of working with colleagues and clients from a wide range of backgrounds.
We are seeking a talented, highly-motivated analyst to join the BNEF analysis team and write new research on the Internet of Things, machine learning and other emerging technologies.
You will be based in our London office, working as part of the Emerging Technologies research team at Bloomberg New Energy Finance (BNEF) – the world's leading independent provider of analysis, tools, data and research to decision makers leading change in the energy system. We help clients stay on top of developments across the energy sector, supported by the unique depth and breadth of our comprehensive BNEF platform.
We'll trust you to:
- Develop knowledge on software platforms and technologies being designed for use in industrial and consumer focused industries. Topics may include the industrial internet of things, machine learning, robotics and others.
- Identify market players, analyze their strategies and product offerings, and compare relative strengths and weaknesses
- Understand how these technologies will impact industries such as energy, transport and manufacturing – and quantify and forecast these business opportunities
- Monitor and record partnerships within the sector
- Collect and analyze quantitative information on technology costs
- Write and publish reports in English about technology and products globally, covering functionality, economic analysis, company profiling and market player strategies
- Engage with clients and industry figures regularly, through visiting their offices, speaking at conferences, attending working groups, presenting content to clients and prospects
- Work with colleagues to identify and highlight the potential impact of the technologies your team covers on the other topics that BNEF writes about
What’s the role?
You’ll need to have:
- Intellectual curiosity, interest in and enthusiasm for new technologies and determining how they work, and their impact on industry and energy
- Exceptional communication skills: writing (for research reports, in English) and speaking (for presentations at conferences, to clients, or to the media)
- Degree in a quantitative subject like maths, engineering, sciences, or computer science
- Confidence conducting both numerical and qualitative analysis
- Ability to think critically and develop thoughtful opinions by cutting through the noise of data, finding key patterns, applying judgement to the claims of industry participants and asking insightful questions
- Natural aptitude for graphically presenting data and writing clearly and concisely
- Ability to quickly understand, distill and communicate complex topics to non-specialist audiences
- Confidence in conducting research calls and communicating with senior industry contacts, early stage companies and academics
- Excellent time management skills and ability to work on multiple projects at once
We’d love to see:
- Graduate degree in a quantitative subject
- Experience of the technology or energy industries, ideally focused on data solutions, internet of things, machine learning or related areas
- European or Asian language skills
If this sounds like you:
Apply if you think we're a good match. We'll get in touch to let you know what the next steps are, but in the meantime feel free to have a look at this:
Bloomberg is an equal opportunities employer a
nd value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.