We are seeking a talented, self-motivated and future-thinking individual to join our Energy Economics team. You're an analyst with a passion for understanding change in the energy system, and you want to make a name for yourself in this exciting industry. You are comfortable forming and defending your opinions and you can communicate these effectively and convincingly to your audience. Your quantitative skills are strong, and you love to work with data and pick apart complex subjects. Teamwork is important to you, and you are excited by the prospect of working with colleagues and clients from a diverse range of backgrounds.
You will be based in our London office, working on the medium and long-term dynamics of the global energy transition as part of the Energy Economics team, for Bloomberg NEF. This includes our long-term economic forecast of the world’s power sector – the New Energy Outlook – as well as other flagship publications that synthesize the ongoing research activities of all our regional and sector specialists into a single house view.
Bloomberg NEF (BNEF) is the world’s leading independent provider of analysis, tools and data for decision makers driving change in the energy system. Through our energy markets analysis division we help our clients understand how increasing renewables build, the rapidly changing economics of power generation, the evolving demand side and changing regulatory environment affect the future of the global energy system, and translate this into client-relevant business impacts.
We’ll trust you to:
- Lead research, write about, and develop a deep understanding of energy market dynamics with a focus on changes that are happening to demand and supply in the medium and long term
- Build models and use them to analyse country and technology-level changes, taking into account technical, economic and environmental constraints
- Engage with clients, sales prospects and market experts, demonstrating analytical excellence to support Bloomberg New Energy Finance’s business goals together with other team-members, analyse the medium and long-term dynamics of the global energy transition and interdependencies of power, transport and heat sector
- Collaborate with a high degree of professionalism with colleagues from different cultures and countries, exposing you to cutting-edge research from across a range of sectors, technologies and markets. You will incorporate their analysis as well as feed yours into their research
- Identify topics of interest to clients, conduct research, and report on the findings in a timely manner
- Develop and implement new analyses, products, data sets and tools
- Develop a network of contacts in the industry and promote/represent BNEF across a wide variety of senior stakeholders
- Contribute to one-off pieces of consultancy on specific topics
- Present your research at external conferences, client briefings and new business discussions
You’ll need to have:
- An understanding of long-term market fundamentals analysis
- Interest in, and enthusiasm for, the transformation of the energy sector
- Professional experience in an energy, consulting, strategy or financial organisation or equivalent academic qualification
- Academic background in a numerate discipline
- The confidence and intellectual curiosity to thrive in an analytical environment
- Exceptional quantitative skills, at ease working with large amounts of data and competent cell-to-cell coding MS Excel to build simple models
- Attention to detail and ability to assimilate and assess new and technical information
- Strong organisational and time-management skills, with the ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Good problem solving skills and an entrepreneurial mind-set.
- Strong verbal and visual communication skills plus the ability to write-up analysis in long-form and short-form style reports
We’d love to see one of the following:
- Experience working on projects which involve long-term planning
- Experience in modelling decarbonisation scenarios
- Experience in modelling the integration of renewable energy and the need for flexibility in future scenarios
- A deep understanding of the heat sector and experience assessing options for heat de-carbonisation scenarios
- Exposure to, and general interest in, business development & sales work
Does this sound like you?
Apply if you think we’re a good match. We'll get in touch with you to let you know the next steps- but in the meantime feel free to browse:
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.