BloombergNEF - EMEA Power Sector Research Analyst (6 Month Contract)
Posted Jan 14, 2020 - Requisition No. 80713
We are seeking a highly-motivated, talented individual to join the BloombergNEF (BNEF) analysis team in London on a 6 month contract and contribute to data collection and analysis on the role of coal in the European power system. We are looking for someone to join us no later than the end of February 2020.
You’re someone with a keen interest in the energy transition and policy, and enjoy digging deep to find key data points to inform analysis. Your research skills are strong, and you have a good eye for detail. Teamwork is important to you, and you are excited by the prospect of collaborating with colleagues of a wide range of backgrounds.
You will be based in our new London office, working as part of a global research team at BloombergNEF (BNEF) – the world's leading independent provider of analysis, tools, data and research to decision makers leading change in the energy system. Our data-driven research helps clients stay on top of developments across the energy sector, supported by the unique depth and breadth of the Bloomberg Terminal and bnef.com platforms.
BNEF Team Ethos:
To succeed at BNEF we need people who can work in an independent manner and show initiative to develop their own viewpoints, yet be collaborative with colleagues. We don’t rely on the status quo, we look for innovative yet pragmatic thinking that turns big ideas into real insights and impact. Working at BNEF sometimes feels chaotic; we need teams that are both dynamic and structured to generate the unique perspectives our clients really value. Our teams are diverse, creative, focused, and fun!
What’s the role?
You will join as an analyst in our applied research team, working closely with other analysts who cover a range of sectors in Europe that will be impacted by the economy-wide transition away from coal. You will gather and organize data on a broad range of quantitative indicators from the characteristics of individual power plants, to the financial health of large utilities. Together these indicators will allow you to acquire a thorough understanding of the risks and opportunities of the energy transition for governments, utilities and civil society. As part of your work with the BNEF team you will collaborate with a high degree of professionalism with colleagues and contacts from different cultures and countries
We will trust you to:
- Develop knowledge on the operational characteristics of the European coal fleet
- Understand how policy and regulation impact operational costs of coal-fired power plants
- Identify and quantify the role that coal sector plays in the economy of countries and regions
- Collect and analyse quantitative information on the scale and direction of the energy transition in coal-heavy areas
- Research and analyse the costs of support for the coal sector, both direct and indirect
- Engage with international stakeholders to gather data directly
You need to have:
- Intellectual curiosity, interest in and enthusiasm for the energy transition; a desire to become an expert on the particular challenges and opportunities of phasing out coal
- Good research skills to seek out quantitative and qualitative data
- Excellent communication skills and fluency in English and one other European – preferably Eastern European - language
- Good time management skills, initiative and ability to work on multiple tasks at once
- Degree or working experience in energy related field, with data research experience
- Confidence conducting both numerical and qualitative analysis
- Ability to think critically and develop thoughtful opinions by cutting through the noise of data, and to think creatively to fill in data gaps
- Confidence in conducting research calls and communicating with industry contacts, investors and leading academics
- Enthusiasm for graphically presenting data in an engaging manner
- Availability to start no later than the end of February 2020
We’d love to see:
- Previous experience in energy-sector research and analysis
- A graduate degree in subjects related to the energy transition
- Database management experience, including in SQL
If this sounds like you:
Apply if you think we're a good match. We'll get in touch to let you know what the next steps are!
*Please include a cover letter with your application outlining your interest in the energy sector (250 words)*
We are an equal opportunities employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Bloomberg is a disability inclusive employer. Please let us know if you require any reasonable adjustments to be made for the recruitment process. If you would prefer to discuss this confidentially, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Alternatively, you can get support from our disability partner EmployAbility, please contact +44 7852 764 684 or email@example.com.