BloombergNEF - Energy Modelling Analyst
Posted May 22, 2019 - Requisition No. 75241
We are seeking a talented and highly engaged individual to join our modelling team You are someone with a passion for clean energy who wants to be at the forefront of this exciting and dynamic sector. You naturally have a strong bias towards critical quantitative analysis, problem-solving and logic, and approach complex topics in an original and creative way. You are able to communicate your ideas confidently and effectively both within and outside the organisation and build networks to support this. Teamwork is important to you and you are excited by the prospect of working with colleagues and clients from a diverse range of backgrounds.
You will be based in our London office as part of our global energy modelling team at BloombergNEF: the world's leading independent provider of analysis, tools, data and research to decision makers leading change in the energy system and related industries. With the unique depth and breadth of our comprehensive BNEF platform, we help clients stay on top of, and see opportunities in, a rapidly changing world.
BNEF Team Ethos:
To succeed at BNEF we need people who can work in an independent manner and show initiative to develop their own viewpoints, yet be collaborative with colleagues. We don’t rely on the status quo, we look for innovative yet pragmatic thinking that turns big ideas into real insights and impact. Working at BNEF sometimes feels chaotic; we need teams that are both dynamic and structured to generate the unique perspectives our clients really value. Our teams are diverse, creative, focused, and fun!
We'll trust you to:
- Use your enthusiasm, analytical and technical skills to become an implementation expert and thought-leader on modelling the big questions and challenges facing the energy industry
- Work closely with colleagues specialising in sectors such as wind, solar, power markets, storage and advanced transport to develop insights in markets around the world through quantitative modelling
- Translate complex modelling concepts into functional and robust tools, and craft and engineer them to be clear and easy to use, and relevant to our clients’ needs
- Author, publish and present supporting methodology, user guides and research reports in clear English and with graphics for both internal and external client and prospect audiences
- Value diversity of perspective and be open to new approaches and ways of thinking
What's the role?
- You will join us as an energy modelling analyst within the modelling team, reporting to the Head of Modelling, all based in London
- As part of a team, you will develop, maintain and support quantitative Excel-based models and other computational tools to facilitate both internal research and for our clients to download and use in their daily work
- Develop supporting code in high-level programming languages such as VBA or Python
- Collaborate with a high degree of professionalism with colleagues, clients and the wider modelling community from different cultures and countries to stay at the very forefront of energy modelling
- Develop and execute test plans to validate your algorithms and results
- Be a point-source of quantitative approach and tools excellence within BNEF and assist colleagues in mastering these disciplines
You'll need to have:
- Fluent written and spoken English
- High interest in and visible enthusiasm for clean energy
- A love of, and high confidence undertaking, quantitative analysis using Excel and other analytical and programming tools
- Good communication skills for writing clear, concise guides and reports in English and for presenting graphical data
- A rigorous approach to accuracy, validation and testing
- A graduate degree in a scientific, engineering, economics or humanities discipline
- An ability to think critically and develop thoughtful opinions and approaches by cutting through data noise, questioning its veracity, extracting key patterns, adopting constructive scepticism of industry participants and asking insightful questions
- Curiosity and the ability to quickly understand, distil and relate complex topics to non-specialist audiences
- Excellent time management skills and confidence working on multiple projects concurrently
We'd love to see:
- Extensive knowledge of energy: its markets, technologies and policy
- In-depth knowledge of Excel, including advanced formulae, charting and extensive use of VBA
- Specialist expertise in mathematical approaches to modelling such as econometrics or other statistical methods of analytical approach
- Experience of developing and supporting software, preferably VBA or Python
- Confidence in talking with senior industry contacts and academics
If this sounds like you:
Apply if you think we're a good match. We'll get in touch to let you know what the next steps are.
Bloomberg is an equal opportunities employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.