BloombergNEF - European Gas Analyst
Posted Aug 10, 2021 - Requisition No. 93094
BloombergNEF (BNEF) is seeking a talented and experienced gas analyst to join our European gas analysis team. The team produces high quality analytical insights and forecasts on the European gas market, with a specific focus on supply/demand fundamentals.
To succeed in this role you will have a genuine passion for natural gas markets, and want to be at the forefront of this exciting industry. You naturally form original opinions, and have an exceptional ability to communicate these to your audience via robust, defendable and well-structured analysis. You will have strong quantitative and qualitative analysis skills along with a particular aptitude for critically analysing complex subjects.
BNEF is a strategic research provider covering global commodity markets and the disruptive technologies driving the transition to a low-carbon economy. Our expert coverage assesses pathways for the power, transport, industry, buildings and agriculture sectors to adapt to the energy transition. We help commodity trading, corporate strategy, finance and policy professionals navigate change and generate opportunities.
Available online, on mobile and on the Terminal, BNEF is powered by Bloomberg’s global network of 19,000 employees in 176 locations, reporting 5,000 news stories a day. Visit https://about.bnef.com/ or request more information.
To succeed at BNEF we need people who can work in an independent manner and show initiative to develop their own viewpoints, yet be collaborative with colleagues. We don’t rely on the status quo, we look for innovative yet pragmatic thinking that turns big ideas into real insights and impact. Working at BNEF sometimes feels chaotic; we need teams that are both dynamic and structured to generate the unique perspectives our clients really value.
- Analysing and forecasting supply, demand and price related market dynamics within the European natural gas and LNG markets, both quantitatively and qualitatively
- Writing insightful and rigorous analysis of key European gas market dynamics and drivers, particularly (but not exclusively) within a short-term context
- Together with other team members, identifying topics of interest to clients, conducting research, and reporting on the findings in a timely manner
- Collaborating with colleagues to develop, maintain and run our gas market forecasting models
- Contributing to our constantly evolving methodologies to facilitate the perpetual enhancement of our models and analytical tools
- Clearly communicating research to clients and prospects, including presenting at conferences, webinars and meetings
- Engaging with BNEF clients to help them extract the most value from our products
- Developing a network of contacts in the industry and representing BNEF across a wide variety of senior stakeholders
- Collaborate effectively within BNEF on cross-specialism themes impacting the European gas markets including geopolitical, regulatory, policy, energy transition, net-zero and LNG related issues
- Supporting cross-departmental flagship publications
You will need to have:
- Demonstrable and significant experience in analysing wholesale European natural gas market fundamentals, market dynamics and/or pricing gained within a research, analysis, consulting, publishing, trading, energy/utilities, financial or investment environment
- Strong understanding of wholesale gas market dynamics, drivers and fundamentals, particularly in terms of gas-to-power, Russian flows, European production, LNG imports and storage
- A track record of thinking critically and developing well-structured and thoughtful analysis by cutting through the noise of data, extracting key patterns, applying scepticism and challenging conventional wisdom
- Curiosity and the ability to quickly understand, distil and work with complex topics and to communicate insights to both specialist and non-specialist audiences
- Rigorous attention to detail and a commitment to high quality work
- Strong communication skills with a particular focus on writing business English to an immediately publishable standard with the minimum of editing
- Ability to act as a thought-leader and self-starter, maintain a high work-rate and ability to work on parallel tasks
- Advanced and well-developed Excel skills
- A Bachelor’s degree in Business, Economics, Finance, Engineering, Science, Mathematics, Humanities or other relevant subject
We would love to see:
- Experience with programming languages such as Python, VBA, R, Matlab or other statistical computing packages
- Post-graduate qualifications in sciences, engineering, business or economics
- Second languages, particularly Russian, German, French, Italian or Dutch
If this sounds like you:
Please apply with your CV and a cover letter outlining your suitability for this role.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Bloomberg is a disability inclusive employer. Please let us know if you require any reasonable adjustments to be made for the recruitment process. If you would prefer to discuss this confidentially, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Alternatively, you can get support from our disability partner EmployAbility, please contact +44 7852 764 684 or email@example.com