BloombergNEF - Power Analyst
Posted Mar 8, 2022 - Requisition No. 101234
BloombergNEF (BNEF) is a strategic research provider covering global commodity markets and the disruptive technologies driving the transition to a low-carbon economy. Our expert coverage assesses pathways for the power, transport, industry, buildings and agriculture sectors to adapt to the energy transition. We help commodity trading, corporate strategy, finance and policy professionals navigate change and generate opportunities. BNEF has 250 staff based in 19 offices across the globe.
BNEF Team Ethos:
To succeed at BNEF we need people who can work in an independent manner and show initiative to develop their own viewpoints, yet be collaborative with colleagues. We don't rely on the status quo, we look for innovative yet pragmatic thinking that turns big ideas into real insights and impact. Working at BNEF sometimes feels chaotic; we need teams that are both dynamic and structured to generate the unique perspectives our clients really value. Our teams are diverse, creative, focused, and fun!
BNEF is seeking a highly motivated talent to join our European Power team in London to build and analyze power market models and write research on the future of European electricity markets and prices. You will take a key role in developing and building out our short-term power market analysis. Working closely with our gas, carbon and data teams, you will help the power team develop tools to conduct analysis faster and more efficiently, and take ownership for key power markets.
The role is data-heavy and requires confidence in building and maintaining complex models and datasets. The successful candidate will contribute to regular reports and build their own expertise and research agenda, analyzing primarily the short-term trends that shape power markets and prices.
You will be based in our London office, working as part of the European Power team within the European research group. Our data driven research helps clients stay on top of developments across the energy sector, supported by the unique depth and breadth of the Bloomberg Terminal and bnef.com platforms.
The European Power team models and analyzes the future of European power markets. Our work ranges from looking at what dynamics will shape the power price in the coming months, to looking at how high-renewables power systems will behave in 30 years’ time. The team produces and writes research for clients across trading, utilities, government, and finance. We work closely with other teams in BNEF to quantify the impact of changes in gas and carbon prices, policy, electrification, and changing technology costs will have on power prices and investment. This includes assessing the future value of wind, solar, gas, and battery storage projects, quantifying the cost of paths for reaching net-zero in 2050, as well as studying how variable renewable generation is already changing power markets today.
We will trust you to:
- Become an authority on European power market forecasting, working collaboratively across multiple teams with a high degree of professionalism, and with colleagues and clients from different cultures
- Work closely with the lead analyst to develop tools, data streams and models to analyze power markets one to three years out
- Have a high attention to detail and willingness to get your hands dirty, for example with gathering and checking data, or fine-tuning narratives
- Write reports based on the team’s modelling and research work.
- Engage with BNEF clients to help them extract the most value from the product
- Balance multiple parallel tasks, be highly organized and have rigorous attention to detail
- Have fun working with interesting people on interesting topics
You’ll need to have:
- Strong quantitative skills and experience in coding with Python (or similar programming language), including knowledge of function building
- Strong knowledge, or demonstrated interest in the energy industry
- A Bachelor’s degree in either Economics, Business, Finance, Engineering, Mathematics, Physics, or other quantitative science
- Up to five years working experience in the field of energy, either conducting research, or working in the wider energy industry
- An ability to understand, and summarize large datasets
- Excellent written and spoken communication skills in English
- A commitment to diversity and inclusion, and a demonstrated ability to collaborate effectively with colleagues from a variety of backgrounds
We would love to see:
- Post-graduate qualifications with a focus on energy
- Natural aptitude for graphically presenting data
- Experience working with Microsoft office products
- Professional experience covering European electricity markets
- Experience in using code for repeated acquisition and processing of large data sets
- Experience in setting up, running, maintaining, and interpreting results from complex models
- Knowledge of additional European language
If this sounds like you:
Apply if you think we're a good match! We'll get in touch with you to let you know what the next steps are.
Bloomberg is an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Please let us know if you require any reasonable adjustments to be made for the recruitment process. If you would prefer to discuss this confidentially, please email email@example.com. Alternatively, you can get support from our disability partner EmployAbility, please contact +44 7852 764 684 or firstname.lastname@example.org