BloombergNEF - Python Data Analyst (12 Months Contract)
Posted Nov 21, 2023 - Requisition No. 120805
BloombergNEF (BNEF) is seeking a talented and highly motivated individual to join the European gas analysis team as a Python data analyst on a 12 month contract. To succeed in this role you will have a genuine passion and aptitude for creating, running, refining and improving Python scripts and models. You will have a natural ability to build tools to use data both effectively and insightfully and, by working alongside our gas experts, to create powerful and value-added insights.
BNEF is a strategic research provider covering global commodity markets and the disruptive technologies driving the transition to a low-carbon economy. Our expert coverage assesses pathways for the power, transport, industry, buildings and agriculture sectors to adapt to the energy transition. We help commodity trading, corporate strategy, finance and policy professionals navigate change and generate opportunities.
You will be based in our London office as part of the European natural gas analyst team for BloombergNEF - the world's leading independent provider of analysis, tools, data and research to decision makers advancing the future of energy. Our team of experts, spread across six continents, provides analysis and insight to the largest corporations across utilities and generation, oil & gas, equipment manufacturers, banking and finance, and government.
To succeed at BNEF we need people who can work in an independent manner and show initiative to develop their own viewpoints yet be collaborative with colleagues. We don’t rely on the status quo; we look for innovative yet pragmatic thinking that turns big ideas into real insights and impact. Working at BNEF sometimes feels chaotic; we need teams that are both dynamic and structured to generate the unique perspectives our clients really value.
- Refining, improving and fine-tuning existing Python scripts relating to our core remit of analysing and forecasting short-term European gas market supply, demand and price related market fundamentals.
- Working alongside the gas analysts to conceptualise, plan and execute new scripts and models to further develop the forecasting work of the team.
- Helping the analyst team improve and further develop their Python skills.
- Contributing quantitative insights and expertise to the work of the team.
- Assisting with process mapping alongside ongoing process refinement and improvement initiatives.
- Contributing to our constantly evolving methodologies to facilitate the perpetual enhancement of our models and analytical tools.
You will need to have:
- Demonstrable and tangible expertise in creating, refining and enhancing existing Python code.
- The ability to efficiently and effectively write new Python scripts and models.
- Well-developed communication abilities with the ability to understand user-requirements and to quickly and efficiently turn these into new scripts and models adopted by the analyst team.
- Particular experience in, and aptitude for, rigorous user testing, debugging and troubleshooting scripts.
- Experience in communicating effectively with users to understand their specific needs and in documenting processes.
- A proven track record of thinking critically and developing well-structured Python code to meet specific criteria and user needs.
- Curiosity and the ability to quickly understand, distil and work with complex topics and data sets.
- Rigorous attention to detail and a commitment to high quality work
- Experience of SQL is desirable but is not a pre-requisite for the role.
- Experience in commodities markets, particularly energy, is desirable but is not a pre-requisite for the role.
If this sounds like you:
Apply if you think we're a good match. We'll get in touch to let you know that the next steps are, but in the meantime feel free to have a look at:
Bloomberg is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, ancestry, color, gender identity or expression, genetic predisposition or carrier status, marital status, national or ethnic origin, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, sexual and other reproductive health decisions, parental or caring status, physical or mental disability, pregnancy or maternity/parental leave, protected veteran status, status as a victim of domestic violence, or any other classification protected by applicable law.
Bloomberg provides reasonable adjustment/accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable adjustment/accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable adjustment/accommodation include but are not limited to making a change to the application process work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment. If you would prefer to discuss this confidentially, please email AMER_recruit@bloomberg.net (mailto:AMER_recruit@bloomberg.net) (Americas), EMEA_recruit@bloomberg.net (mailto:EMEA_recruit@bloomberg.net) (Europe, the Middle East and Africa), or APAC_recruit@bloomberg.net (mailto:APAC_recruit@bloomberg.net) (Asia-Pacific), based on the region you are submitting an application for. Alternatively, you can get support from our disability partner EmployAbility, please contact +44 7852 764 684 or firstname.lastname@example.org (mailto:email@example.com)