BloombergNEF - Team Lead - Energy Storage Research
Posted Dec 17, 2021 - Requisition No. 99021
BloombergNEF (BNEF) is a strategic research provider covering global commodity markets and the disruptive technologies driving the transition to a low-carbon economy. Our expert coverage assesses pathways for the power, transport, industry, buildings and agriculture sectors to adapt to the energy transition. We help commodity trading, corporate strategy, finance and policy professionals navigate change and generate opportunities.. BNEF has 250 staff based in 19 offices across the globe.
BNEF Team Ethos:
To succeed at BNEF we need people who can work in an independent manner and show initiative to develop their own viewpoints, yet be collaborative with colleagues. We don’t rely on the status quo, we look for innovative yet pragmatic thinking that turns big ideas into real insights and impact. Working at BNEF sometimes feels chaotic; we need teams that are both dynamic and structured to generate the unique perspectives our clients really value. Our teams are diverse, creative, focused, and fun!
What's the role?
We are seeking a team leader for our Energy Storage research team. Based in our London office, you will lead a small but international team of analysts that produces primary research and analysis on the technologies, companies, policies and supply chain dynamics driving the global battery and storage sector. Through primary research and data gathering, you and your team will develop unique insights, data and analytical tools that help our clients navigate the opportunities and challenges as the energy storage sector takes off.
As part of your role, you’ll be responsible for developing a highly talented team of analysts to their full potential. In close collaboration with other team leaders and heads of departments, you will own the agenda for BNEF’s energy storage research, paying close attention to trends in adjacent sectors such as electric vehicles, renewable / decentralized energy and metals & mining.
You will also work closely with commercial teams to ensure that our cutting-edge research translates into business impact for Bloomberg and BNEF.
We'll trust you to:
- Work with your team to develop a research agenda that keeps BNEF at the forefront of the energy storage sector
- Manage, mentor and develop a team of talented analysts
- Produce industry-leading research and data sets on the technologies, companies, policies, business models and markets driving the energy storage sector
- Edit/review research from your team, ensuring it is of extraordinary quality
- Develop a strong industry network, maintaining a high profile for BNEF’s energy storage work and a deep bench of contacts to power our research
- Provide key inputs and support to our adjacent research areas and long-term forecasts, in particular on electric vehicles, grid storage and metals
- Regularly present BNEF research in public settings, such as conferences and webinar
- Support business development through client interactions and collaborating with commercial teams
- Help shape BNEF’s overall business strategy and research agenda by giving input to management and the commercial teams
You'll need to have:
- A deep understanding of (and passion for) the energy storage industry, particularly the lithium-ion battery sector. This includes a strong working knowledge of the underlying technologies, industry dynamics and key players.
- At least five years of relevant experience
- Excellent writing and editing, and the ability to create clear messages and narratives
- Strong quantitative skills, significant experience using Excel and comfort using large datasets and models
- Well-honed critical thinking, allowing you to ‘see the wood for the trees’
- A demonstrated ability to retrieve key information, both through digital resources but also through direct human relationships
- Attention to detail and willingness to get your hands dirty, for example with gathering and checking data, or fine-tuning narratives
- A commitment to diversity and inclusion, and a demonstrated ability to collaborate effectively with colleagues from a variety of backgrounds
- Strong speaking and presenting skills to articulate complex ideas to a range of audiences
- Excellent client-facing abilities and enthusiasm to represent the product both internally and externally
- Creative and flexible approach to people and project management
- Comprehensive experience of building relationships
We'd love to see:
- A post-graduate degree relevant to battery technology or the energy sector
- Speaking/writing ability in a non-English language
- Prior experience managing a small team
- Experience with data analytics / modelling in Python
If this sounds like you:
Apply if you think we're a good match! We'll get in touch with you to let you know what the next steps are.
Bloomberg is an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Please let us know if you require any reasonable adjustments to be made for the recruitment process. If you would prefer to discuss this confidentially, please email email@example.com. Alternatively, you can get support from our disability partner EmployAbility, please contact +44 7852 764 684 or firstname.lastname@example.org