BloombergNEF Carbon Analyst
Posted Aug 25, 2021 - Requisition No. 93594
BloombergNEF (BNEF) is seeking a talented, highly motivated individual to join our EU Carbon team in London to build models and produce research and data tools on the future of European carbon markets and prices.
To succeed at BNEF we need people who can work in an independent manner and show initiative to develop their own viewpoints, yet be collaborative with colleagues. We don't rely on the status quo, we look for innovative yet pragmatic thinking that turns big ideas into real insights and impact. Working at BNEF sometimes feels chaotic; we need teams that are both dynamic and structured to generate the unique perspectives our clients really value. Our teams are diverse, creative, focused, and fun!
At BloombergNEF (BNEF), we help our clients gain a clear perspective on the technologies and financial, economic and policy trends driving the energy transformation. BNEF is online, on mobile and on the Terminal. We are a subscription service providing research and analysis to key stakeholders across the energy value chain. For more information about BNEF, go to https://about.bnef.com/.
You will be based in our London office, working as part of the European research team at BloombergNEF (BNEF) – the world’s leading independent provider of analysis, tools, data and research to decision makers leading change in the energy system. Our data driven research helps clients stay on top of developments across the energy sector, supported by the unique depth and breadth of the Bloomberg Terminal and bnef.com platforms. The EU Carbon team models and analyzes the future of European carbon and new emerging markets, including carbon markets outside of Europe. As the leading provider of carbon market analysis, our modelling and research ranges from short-term dynamics that will shape the carbon price in the coming months, to analyzing how global policy developments and the energy transition affect carbon pricing in the coming decades. The team produces regular research and tools for clients across utilities, manufacturing, government, trading, and finance.
We work closely with other teams in BNEF to quantify the impact that policy, commodity prices, industrial electrification, and changing technology cost will have on carbon prices and investment. This includes assessing the future cost and value of renewables, hydrogen, industrial processes and carbon capture and storage, as well as studying how coal-to-gas fuel switching and increased renewables penetration is affecting carbon markets today.
BloombergNEF (BNEF) is seeking a highly motivated talent to join our research team in London for a permanent position. The role is data-heavy, and requires confidence in building and maintaining complex models and datasets. The successful candidate will contribute to regular reports and build their own expertise and research agenda, analyzing the short-term and long-term trends that shape carbon markets and prices.
We will trust you to:
- Work in the team to develop, maintain, and run complex carbon market forecasting models
- Analyze large datasets and find key trends
- Write reports based on the team’s modelling and research work.
- Engage with BNEF clients to help them extract the most value from the product
- Develop tools and data streams that help BNEF teams enhance their capability to do analysis and draw insight
- Balance multiple parallel tasks, be highly organized and have rigorous attention to detail
- Collaborate in a global team with a high degree of professionalism, and with colleagues and clients from different cultures
- Have fun working with interesting people on interesting topics
You’ll need to have:
- Strong knowledge, or demonstrated interest in the low carbon transition
- A Bachelor’s degree in either Economics, Finance, Engineering, Mathematics, Physics, or other quantitative science
- An ability to understand, and summarize large datasets
- Experience working with Microsoft office products, especially Excel
- Excellent written and spoken communication skills in English
- High attention to detail
We would love to see:
- A Masters’ Degree in either Economics, Business, Finance, Engineering, Mathematics, or Physics, with a focus on energy
- Experience in coding with Python (or similar language) with the goal of gathering, processing, and analyzing data
- Experience (even if educational) with energy markets or European policy
- Experience in setting up, running, maintaining, and interpreting results from complex models
- Relevant internship or work experience in energy or other commodity markets.
- Knowledge of additional European language
If this sounds like you:
Apply if you think we're a good match! We'll get in touch with you to let you know what the next steps are.
Bloomberg is an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Please let us know if you require any reasonable adjustments to be made for the recruitment process. If you would prefer to discuss this confidentially, please email email@example.com. Alternatively, you can get support from our disability partner EmployAbility, please contact +44 7852 764 684 or firstname.lastname@example.org