BloombergNEF European Gas Team Leader
Posted Mar 18, 2022 - Requisition No. 101634
European Gas Team Leader
BloombergNEF (BNEF) is seeking a seeking a talented, highly motivated and experienced gas analyst to lead our European Gas team. You're one of those people who have a passion for energy markets and you want to be at the edge of change in this exciting industry. You naturally form original opinions and you have an exceptional ability to communicate these to your audience. Your quantitative skills are strong, and you love to analyze critically complex subjects. Teamwork is important to you, and you understand how healthy debates inform solid conclusions.
BNEF is a strategic research provider covering global commodity markets and the disruptive technologies driving the transition to a low-carbon economy. Our expert coverage assesses pathways for the power, transport, industry, buildings and agriculture sectors to adapt to the energy transition. We help commodity trading, corporate strategy, finance and policy professionals navigate change and generate opportunities.
You will be based in our London office and lead the European natural gas analyst team for BloombergNEF - the world's leading independent provider of analysis, tools, data and research to decision makers advancing the future of energy. Our team of experts, spread across six continents, provides analysis and insight to the largest corporations across utilities and generation, oil & gas, equipment manufacturers, banking and finance, and government.
BNEF Team Ethos:
To succeed at BNEF we need people who can work in an independent manner and show initiative to develop their own viewpoints, yet be collaborative with colleagues. We don’t rely on the status quo, we look for innovative yet pragmatic thinking that turns big ideas into real insights and impact. Working at BNEF sometimes feels chaotic; we need teams that are both dynamic and structured to generate the unique perspectives our clients really value. Our teams are diverse, creative, focused, and fun!
What's the role?
Based in our London office, and reporting to the Head of European Gas, Power and Carbon Research, you will lead a team of analysts producing primary research and analysis on short-term trends in the European gas and LNG market (weeks- to seasons-ahead) and the long-term future of gas in Europe’s energy mix (in close collaboration with other BNEF teams doing European power, carbon, policy and renewables analysis).
As part of the leadership group on the global gas market, you will work closely with your counterparts on American and Asian gas markets, based in New York and Singapore, respectively. This group helps shape the research, product and sales strategy for the global BNEF gas product.
You will work collaboratively with commercial and data teams within Bloomberg to find ways BNEF research can serve Terminal clients and help Terminal sales.
We'll trust you to:
- Serve as BNEF’s senior voice on European gas markets, to clients, prospects, the media, public-policy leaders, and others
- Manage, mentor, and grow a team of talented analysts
- Help shape BNEF’s overall business strategy and research agenda in Europe by giving input to management and the commercial teams
- Write insightful, thought-leading analysis that informs BNEF clients worldwide
- Edit all BNEF research produced on European gas topics and ensure it is of extraordinary quality
- Regularly present BNEF research in public settings, such as conferences and webinars
- Support business development through client interactions and collaborating with commercial teams
You'll need to have:
- Demonstrable and significant experience in analysing TTF and wholesale European natural gas market fundamentals, market dynamics and/or pricing gained within a research, analysis, consulting, publishing, trading, energy/utilities, financial or investment environment
- Strong understanding of wholesale gas market dynamics, drivers and fundamentals, particularly in terms of gas-to-power, Russian flows, European production, LNG imports and storage
- A track record of thinking critically and developing well-structured and thoughtful analysis by cutting through the noise of data, extracting key patterns, applying scepticism and challenging conventional wisdom
- Previous experience in managing a team of analysts
- Creative and flexible approach to people and project management
- Curiosity and the ability to quickly understand, distil and work with complex topics and to communicate insights to both specialist and non-specialist audiences
- Rigorous attention to detail and a commitment to high quality work
- Strong communication skills with a particular focus on writing business English to an immediately publishable standard with the minimum of editing
- Excellent client-facing skills and enthusiasm to represent the product both internally and externally
- Advanced and well-developed Excel skills
- A Bachelor’s degree in Business, Economics, Finance, Engineering, Science, Mathematics, Humanities or other relevant subject
- Minimum seven years of relevant experience
- Experience with programming languages such as Python, VBA, R, Matlab or other statistical computing packages
- Post-graduate qualifications in sciences, engineering, business or economics
- Second languages, particularly Russian, German, French, Italian or Dutch
We'd love to see:
If this sounds like you, apply today!
We're eager to speak with you. We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.