What's the Role?
You’re the type of person who has a real passion for working with the latest technology and you love solving complex problems. Your friends all know you as the one who likes nothing more than spotting a creative way to improve a process. You have a solid background and have spent time working with ground breaking Natural-Language Processing (NLP) techniques and on the latest methods for information search/retrieval.
We are looking for a highly-motivated individual to join an information-retrieval group to help build a Chinese natural-language search product. You will apply taxonomy and ontology principles to create and manage metadata, which will improve the `findability' of resources on the Bloomberg Terminal.
You will also be charged with diagnosing and fixing inconsistencies, solving reference issues, analysing linguistic usage patterns and performing data analysis tasks. You will be part of a team dedicated to providing the next generation in Bloomberg Terminal usability to our Chinese-reading clients by supporting an easy-to-use, natural-language information-retrieval system in traditional & simplified Chinese.
What we do in Discoverability:
- Improve discoverability of entities, data and functions on the Bloomberg Terminal for our Chinese-reading customers
- Normalize data, solve reference issues, analyse linguistic usage patterns and perform large query regression tests
- Standardize and organize query datasets, ensuring accuracy and completeness
- Curate entities and properties by adding keywords/synonym rules
- Develop novel techniques for analysing customer searches and finding meaningful topics/trends
- Investigate and discover errors and inconsistencies within discrete datasets as well as large processes
- Collaborate with colleagues and partners in Global Data, News, Core Product and Engineering to develop the product
- Troubleshoot low-quality search results and improve them to deliver higher-value results to our Chinese-reading customers
What we look for:
- Masters in Information Science (MLIS), Masters in Library Science (MLS), Bachelor of Science in Computer Science, or related technical discipline
- 0-3 years of data analysis experience
- Experience updating & querying relational databases, such as MySQL, Oracle, comdb2
- Knowledge of metadata standards and the proven ability to apply them to large scale collections of data
- Demonstrated ability to research and analyse problems and develop solutions
- Proven project management experience
- Strong analytical and organizational skills
- Ability to exercise independent judgment
- Native-level written proficiency in traditional and simplified Chinese
- Native-level written and spoken proficiency in English
- Availability to start by February 2018
We'd love to find someone who has:
- Experience handling financial, economic and news data
- Strong Python skills
- Used NLP/machine learning techniques to draw inferences from large data sets
- Experience working on search engines and in information search/retrieval
- Worked with Apache™ Hadoop, Spark
- Data modelling experience
Does this sound like you?
Apply if you think we're a good match. We'll get in touch to let you know what the next steps are!
In the meantime feel free to have a look at this:
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Bloomberg is a disability inclusive employer. Please let us know if you require any reasonable adjustments to be made for the recruitment process. If you would prefer to discuss this confidentially, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Alternatively, you can get support from our disability partner EmployAbility, please contact +44 7852 764 684 or email@example.com.
Opening Date: 18th April 2018
Closing Date: 16th May 2018
Salary: Competitive salary plus benefits