Commercial Contracts Counsel – Financial Technology
Posted Jun 13, 2019 - Requisition No. 75561
Bloomberg’s Legal Department plays a critical role in supporting our businesses and operations around the world. We move quickly and thoughtfully to help address a variety of complex legal issues that come with being the world’s leading financial news and information company. Our team is made up of talented and hardworking professionals who think creatively and work collaboratively in an open environment to deliver results, drive innovation, and solve difficult problems. We also recognise the value of diversity and inclusion in cultivating a supportive workplace and the importance of giving back to our communities as evidenced by our award-winning pro bono program.
Reporting into one of our senior lawyers in London, you will be part of a small team required to draft and negotiate license agreements and/or technology related commercial contracts.
The team directly advises and works closely with sales, business and product development teams on the licensing of data, indices, technology and intellectual property and related issues in order to achieve internal clients' objectives, and collaborates with other counsel to identify and minimize risk. You will work closely with colleagues across the globe with a primary focus on EMEA business and projects.
We'll trust you to:
- Structure, draft, review, analyse and negotiate a variety of commercial and licensing agreements, including data content, indices, services, software, technology and intellectual property transactional agreements
- Provide licensing, technology and commercial legal advice and counsel to internal clients
- Serve as a trusted business partner in shaping business strategy, identifying business risks and defining company policies and procedures
You’ll need to have:
- A minimum of 4-6 years PQE from a non-contentious IT/IP Practice Group
- Admitted to practice as a solicitor with the Law Society of England and Wales
- Excellent academic credentials having trained and qualified at a premier law firm
- Strong negotiation, drafting, analytical and problem solving skills
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to handle multiple projects and clients
- Able to work collaboratively with a wide range of other disciplines, often across regions and time zones
- Excellent eye for business and ability to think strategically
- Ability to communicate effectively at all levels and to both legal and non-legal professionals
- Ability to build and maintain strong client relationships
We'd love to see:
- Prior experience practicing for a law firm, preferably with an in-house secondment
- Deep understanding of the legal and business aspects of licensing data, indices, financial information, software and/or technology products and services
- Knowledge of intellectual property, data privacy/data security and competition law
- Ability to thrive in a diverse, collaborative, open-plan environment
- Able to provide concise and commercially focused advice in a dynamic, ever-changing workplace.
If this sounds like you:
Apply if you think we're a good match. We'll get in touch to let you know what the next steps are.
We are an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Please note we use years of experience as a guide but we certainly will consider applications from you if you are able to demonstrate the skills necessary for the role.