Commodities Data Manager - Data Management Lab
Posted Nov 21, 2023 - Requisition No. 121725
Bloomberg runs on data. Our products are fuelled by powerful information. We combine data and context to paint the whole picture for our clients, around the clock – from around the world. In Data, we are responsible for delivering this data, news and analytics through innovative technology - quickly and accurately. We apply problem-solving skills to identify innovative workflow efficiencies, and we implement technology solutions to enhance our systems, products and processes - all while providing platinum customer support to our clients.
In the Commodities Data Team, we’re responsible for on-boarding, analysing, applying and supplying it to our clients for their financial and commodity data needs. More than 320,000 business leaders rely on the real time financial information available on the Bloomberg Professional Service. Our products run on intelligence and insight provided by the Commodities team. Our team of analysts influence decisions and move the markets every day.
We are responsible for the data management of datasets across Power and gas, Oil, Agriculture and Metals. The team provides relevant, timely, and accurate data to empower customers to drive their analysis of commodity markets, both pricing and fundamentals.
The Commodities Data team has an exciting opportunity for a global Manager to lead the Commodities teams in Princeton, London, LATAM, and multiple Asia Pacific offices. Your team will own the data management, quality and timely delivery of content, while also growing our data offering by identifying and on-boarding complementary data sets. You and your team will be expected to drive the data strategy, aligning with our clients and key partners to understand their evolving needs, setting proactive strategies for our Commodities coverage; around critical areas such as; Power & gas demand and supply, outage data, and Carbon.
From a technical perspective, your team will be required to research new data sets to expand the coverage of our product, focused on data modelling and ETL software skills. This position requires extensive collaboration with global colleagues, and partners across all business units including Business Managers, News, Bloomberg Intelligence & Economists, Sales & Analytics, our Data Governance team, and Engineering.
We’ll trust you to:
- Build and lead global teams with multiple Team Leaders and senior-level individual contributors reporting directly to you;
- Recruit, mentor, and develop a team of Commodities analysts responsible for high-quality data, data modelling, content curation, and generating new client solutions;
- Collaborate with global counterparts and leadership to evolve the role, workflow, and operating procedures to ensure consistency in data quality and timeliness across regions;
- Collaborate extensively with internal partners (Core Product, Bloomberg Economists, Bloomberg News, Financial Products, and Engineering) to drive adoption and integration amongst our clients;
- Bring expertise across Commodity Markets (and datasets) to drive Bloomberg’s data strategy, establish specific OKRs to build market-leading offerings;
- Have meaningful client interactions to build trust, understand their needs, and drive overall product strategy;
- Stay up to date on industry trends and latest developments in the financial market along with a deep understanding of our clients’ workflows;
- Build an inclusive team culture.
You’ll need to have:
- 6+ years of experience* in management successfully leading diverse teams;
- Demonstrated experience leading product development and/or sales experience focused on bringing data solutions to clients in financial services;
- Bachelor's degree, preferably in STEM, or related business / finance field;
- Knowledge of commodity markets (energy, metals & mining, emissions & carbon, or agriculture);
- Experience working with time series or other large datasets, be able to quantify the trends impacting the industry, and provide information that can aid commercial decisions;
- Proven ability to establish strong credibility and build influential relationships with multiple internal and external clients and partners;
- Solid grasp of data management principles and technologies such as data modelling, data analysis skills to tell a narrative and/or make data-driven insights;
- Excellent communication skills, allowing you to clearly communicate business and client needs, and to advocate on behalf of your team;
- Vision to align your team's goals around providing outstanding service to Bloomberg’s clients and other internal partners, and the ability to implement with a strategy that supports the business while motivating your team;
- Creative and flexible approach to problem solving, aided by strong data analysis skills.
*Please note we use years of experience as a guide but we certainly will consider applications from all candidates who are able to demonstrate the skills necessary for the role.
We’d love to see:
- Experience or knowledge in Bloomberg terminal proficiency, and/or Bloomberg Data workflows;
- Professional experience in commodity markets, knowledge on power and gas markets preferred;
- Experience in semantic structures to model the commodities domain and drive the interoperability across datasets;
- Experience in SQL, Python, and other data analysis tools.
If this sounds like you:
Apply if you think we're a good match! We'll get in touch with you to let you know what the next steps are.
Bloomberg is an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, ancestry, colour, gender identity or expression, genetic predisposition or carrier status, marital status, national or ethnic origin, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, sexual and other reproductive health decisions, parental or caring status, physical or mental disability, pregnancy or maternity/ parental leave, protected veteran status, status as a victim of domestic violence, or any other classification protected by applicable law.
Bloomberg provides reasonable adjustment/accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable adjustment/accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable adjustment/accommodation include but are not limited to making a change to the application process work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment. If you would prefer to discuss this confidentially, please email AMER_recruit@bloomberg.net (Americas), EMEA_recruit@bloomberg.net (Europe, the Middle East and Africa), or APAC_recruit@bloomberg.net (Asia-Pacific), based on the region you are submitting an application for. Alternatively, you can get support from our disability partner EmployAbility, please contact +44 7852 764 684 or firstname.lastname@example.org