Communication, News, and Realtime Applications and Services Engineer (C++)
Posted Jul 3, 2017 - Requisition No. 59280
We build high impact, innovative software applications and infrastructure used by hundreds of thousands of people. What we build helps move the financial industry every single day. We create key applications that the Bloomberg community relies on to interact with one another. We also help people to keep abreast of key news and market moving information and react accordingly.
We build the most heavily used applications on the terminal. This counts tools such as Bloomberg's proprietary Email and Instant Message products. Our teams are also responsible for Notes and Contact Management systems, News, Market Alerts and Monitoring applications. We collaborate closely as a group to deliver both desktop and mobile solutions.
We focus on our products being able to handle extremely high volumes while maintaining low latencies & high availability. In addition, we build core services that form the foundation of applications built by other software groups within Bloomberg.
We'll trust you to:
- Take responsibility for the full software development life-cycle, from understanding the needs of the business through to coding to deployment and maintenance. Your work will be highly visible, making you highly accountable
- Understand your product area deeply. You will partner closely with product and with UX design teams to deliver the exactly what is needed by our customers
- Thrive under the speed of change. You will love being in an environment that is constantly evolving
- Engage with the wider community. You might love to work with open source software. We interact with the open source communities by contributing changes where we can. You will also be able to take part in related meet-ups and conferences
You'll need to have:
- Strong C++
- Deep understanding of object-oriented design, data structures and algorithms
- An aptitude for analytical problem solving
- Exposure to all phases of the software development lifecycle
We'd love to see:
- You have Linux/UNIX exposure
- You are familiar with the nuances of building high volume, high availability distributed systems
Teams that you can apply to:
We aim to build the next generation of collaboration tools, namely with our Contact Management, Note taking and Sharing applications. We allow Bloomberg customers to seamlessly interact with their colleagues, clients and friends in a way that is both fast and transparent.
Our real strength comes from the fact that our applications are not isolated silos, we provide frameworks and APIs to allow other engineering teams to interact with our systems and add collaboration to their own software. Where possible we embrace open source solutions and contribute back where possible.
We prize good design, an ability to build highly resilient, low latency systems and a passion to adapt and try out new things.
We are extremely proud of our diverse and open culture, and value diversity of thought and perspective in every form. We're looking for engineers with a passion for writing reusable, efficient solutions to complex problems, who can adapt to an ever-changing market landscape, and who can collaborate and work effectively on small teams to develop software that impacts thousands of power users around the world. If this sounds like you, please apply below!
To find out more about Engineering at Bloomberg, check out www.bloomberg.com/careers/technology/engineering/.