Compliance Officer – Electronic Trading Systems and EMEA Data Privacy Lead
Posted May 17, 2019 - Requisition No. 75191
Bloomberg’s Legal Department plays a critical role in supporting our businesses and operations around the world. We move quickly and thoughtfully to help address a variety of complex legal issues that come with being the world’s leading financial news and information company. Our team is made up of talented and hardworking professionals who think creatively and work collaboratively in an open environment to deliver results, drive innovation, and solve difficult problems. We also recognise the value of diversity and inclusion in cultivating a supportive workplace and the importance of giving back to our communities as evidenced by our award-winning pro bono program.
The Global Compliance team within Bloomberg’s Legal Department provides coverage of Bloomberg's regulated entities and products including support for Bloomberg's non-regulated products and services. We work to address regulatory issues, ensure compliance with current/developing rules and regulations, and correspond with regulators. Bloomberg has regulated activities that include regulated trading venues (e.g., UK Multilateral Trading Facility, US Swap Execution Facility), MIFID II benchmark activities, a US Broker-Dealer, and other regulated offerings globally.
Based in London, this is a great opportunity to join the “Business Line” Compliance Function which provides compliance coverage support to the electronic trading services, for securities and derivatives across all asset classes, the equities joint alliance venture with Goldman Sachs, MIFID II, EMIR post-trade services, research and valuation services, information security and enterprise. This role also includes taking the lead in EMEA for the Data Privacy Compliance program, liaising closely with the global lead in New York, and working with the EMEA Compliance team on data privacy matters.
In our team, you'll have the opportunity to support products across the business including electronic trading solutions (“ETS”), data reporting products including MIFID II, EMIR trade reporting coverage and Research and Valuations. On any given day you could be asked to analyse, help implement, or advocate for change to UK, EU and international securities and derivatives regulations affecting Bloomberg's businesses, or draft policies, procedures, liaise with key customers or Regulators. You will also liaise regularly with the wider EMEA Compliance team, Legal Counsel and other support functions.
The ideal candidate will have significant regulatory experience with regard to financial markets and products, be familiar with FCA and European rules, Market Abuse requirements and be able to implement Compliance policies, governance and controls.
It also offers an environment for you to share knowledge and experiences, develop individually in a company that encourages collaboration and partnership working alongside the team that covers Research and Valuations Compliance.
We'll trust you to:
- Provide advisory compliance services to the business
- Interpret regulatory requirements and apply appropriately to the business
- Prepare and implement procedures manuals
- Develop and streamline new and existing Compliance processes, and play a role to implement system changes
- Provide guidance on and implement controls relating to all FCA rules applicable to an FCA authorised Service Company
- Respond to regulatory inquiries and lead regulatory relationships with the Compliance team as appropriate
- Conduct reviews, testing and verification on a regular basis
- Prepare reports for regulatory bodies and internal management
- Act as the second line of defence in a dynamic, forward thinking business
- Keep abreast of regulatory, jurisdictional changes and challenges throughout Europe and beyond, working closely with legal
- Plan, prepare and conduct continuing education for business stakeholders
- As part of the broader Compliance team, provide Compliance support to the broad range of businesses operated by Bloomberg LP
- Communicate effectively at all levels of the organisation
You'll need to have:
- At least 5 years* relevant financial services and/or FinTech Compliance experience
- Strong understanding of one or more of the following asset classes: Indices, equities, fixed income, derivatives and Equity derivatives.
- Knowledge of the FCA Handbook, MIFID II, EMIR, MAR reporting and associated guidance
- Familiarity with the financial markets, electronic trading, and FCA and EU regulatory developments
- Experience dealing with regulatory enquiries and requests
- A track record of working with and advising senior business people on compliance matters
- Experience in drafting policies, procedures and manuals, along with preparing reports for regulatory bodies and internal management
- The ability to advise on regulatory changes and developments
- An analytical mind, the ability to solve complex problems and streamline processes
We'd love to see:
- Knowledge of RTS 16, RTS 22
- Knowledge of Brexit operational and regulatory environment
- A working understanding of data privacy matters and GDPR
- Experience working in a dynamic team and live market environment
- Bachelor's Degree
*Please note we use years of experience as a guide but we certainly will consider applications from all candidates who are able to demonstrate the skills necessary for the role
If this sounds like you:
Apply if you think we're a good match. We'll get in touch to let you know what the next steps are.
Bloomberg is an equal opportunities employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.