Data Engineer - Global Data Technical Operations
Posted May 1, 2019 - Requisition No. 74898
At Bloomberg, our products are fuelled by powerful information. We combine data and context to paint the whole picture for our clients, around the clock, from around the world. In Global Data, we’re responsible for delivering this data, news and analytics through innovative technology – quickly and accurately.
Enterprising – and not defined by conventional roles. Our goal is to innovate, redefine, and break boundaries in expanding our modern data business. In Global Data’s Technical Operations, our focus is on data engineering and how data is acquired, processed, validated and stored. We create large scale automated systems to handle the huge variety of data that Bloomberg delivers to customers worldwide.
We're looking for a Data Engineer to join our team in the London office, to focus on automated data processing and pipeline design. You’ll be joining a dynamic team of data engineers and data scientists responsible for developing and utilising technologies that enhance our ability to acquire, process and analyse data. You will design and develop systems that improve internal processes and produce new client-facing content. You will be expected to be able to work independently and to manage your own priorities, while also collaborating with experienced team members and colleagues across regions.
We are looking for someone who embraces the challenge of understanding the business problems that your code is solving, so that you don't just develop: you have a vision, you design, you simplify, you visualize, you deliver, and you effectively communicate the business impact of your work.
As a valued member of our team, we’ll trust you to:
Work closely with the product teams to understand business needs and opportunities to leverage technology in order to both create new, and optimize existing extract-transform-validate-load data pipelines, as well as human-in-the-loop dataflows.
Design, develop, and deploy the data processing pipelines that power Bloomberg’s product offerings by leveraging reusable technology components in conjunction with developing ad-hoc solutions.
Communicate effectively with stakeholders throughout a project development lifecycle.
Monitor, maintain and troubleshoot issues for the production systems you are responsible for.
Successful applicants will likely possess:
- A BA/BSc degree or higher (MA/MSc/PhD a plus) in Computer Science, Mathematics, or relevant data technology field and / or equivalent professional work experience in software development, data engineering, data science
- Strong software development practises (versioning, style, testing, documentation, etc.)
- Familiarity with data modelling within both SQL and NoSQL database systems
- Proven ability to set a vision and plan for the long term, while working on immediate priorities
- A self-starter mind-set, creative problem solving skills, and experience with diverse data processes and systems
- Great team player attitude, focusing on delivering value for the department through effective collaboration
- Full spectrum of project management skills, from idea generation through to delivery
- Excellent communication skills, especially when explaining technical processes and solutions to business stakeholders and management
Does this sound like you?
Apply! We’ll get in touch and let you know the next steps.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.