Data Engineer - Global Data Technical Operations
Posted Sep 10, 2019 - Requisition No. 77667
At Bloomberg, our products are fuelled by powerful information. We combine data and context to paint the whole picture for our clients, around the clock, from around the world. In Global Data, we’re responsible for delivering this data, news and analytics through innovative technology – quickly and accurately.
Enterprising – and not defined by conventional roles. Our goal is to innovate, redefine, and break boundaries in expanding our modern data business. In Global Data’s Technical Operations our focus is on data engineering: we define how data is acquired, processed, validated and stored. Our focus is on designing and implementing large scale automated systems to handle the huge variety of data that Bloomberg delivers to customers worldwide.
We're looking for a Data Engineer to join our London team to focus on automated data processing and pipeline design. You’ll be joining a dynamic team of data engineers and data scientists responsible for developing and utilising technology to enhance our ability to acquire, process and analyse data. You will design and develop systems that improve internal processes and produce new client-facing content. You will be expected to be able to work independently and to manage your own priorities, while also collaborating with experienced team members and colleagues across regions.
We are looking for an individual who is willing to embrace the challenge of understanding the business problems their code is solving. As such, you will not be expected to just be a developer: you have a vision, you design, you simplify, you visualize, you deliver, and you effectively communicate the business impact of your work.
As a valued member of our team, we’ll trust you to:
- Work closely with internal teams to understand business needs and opportunities to leverage technology in order to create new and optimize existing fully automated and human-in-the-loop data pipelines
- Design, develop, and deploy the data processing pipelines that power Bloomberg’s product offering by leveraging the right combination of reusable (open-source and proprietary) technology and ad-hoc solutions, according to the latest software development industry practices
- Communicate effectively with stakeholders throughout the project development life-cycle
- Monitor, maintain and troubleshoot issues for the production systems you are responsible for
Successful applicants will likely possess:
- A BA/BSc degree or higher (MA/MSc/PhD a plus) in Computer Science, Mathematics, or relevant data technology or quantitative field and / or equivalent professional work experience in software development, data engineering, or data science
- Extensive knowledge of standard software development practices (version control, design patterns, code style, testing, documentation, etc.)
- Familiarity with data modelling for both SQL and NoSQL database systems
- Proven ability to define a vision and to plan for the long-term, while executing on short-term priorities at the same time
- A self-starter mind-set, creative problem solving skills, and experience with diverse data processes and systems
- Great team player attitude, focusing on delivering value for the department through effective collaboration
- Full spectrum of project management skills, from idea generation through to delivery
- Excellent communication skills, and experience in explaining technical processes and solutions to business stakeholders and management
Does this sound like you?
Apply! We’ll get in touch and let you know the next steps.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.