Data Privacy Counsel – London
Posted Jan 7, 2020 - Requisition No. 80567
Bloomberg’s Legal Department plays a critical role in supporting our businesses and operations around the world. We move quickly and thoughtfully to help address a variety of complex legal issues that come with being the world’s leading financial news and information company. Our team is made up of talented and hardworking professionals who think creatively and work collaboratively in an open environment to deliver results, drive innovation, and solve difficult problems. We also recognize the value of diversity and inclusion in cultivating a supportive workplace and the importance of giving back to our communities as evidenced by our award-winning pro bono program.
The Data Privacy team provides Bloomberg with legal guidance on a global basis for a wide range of areas including product development, customer and vendor agreements, marketing, data subject requests, internal policies, and privacy notices.
Based in our EMEA headquarters in London, you will be part of a dynamic in-house team of lawyers responsible for everything from Financial Regulatory advice to Intellectual Property Law. Reporting to our Senior Privacy Counsel (based in New York), you will ensure Bloomberg meets its legal, regulatory, and reputational responsibility. You will work closely with colleagues across the globe with a primary focus on EMEA business and projects.
We’ll trust you to:
- Provide advice on all data privacy related legal requirements
- Develop compliance mechanisms for new products and services
- Be actively involved in product development and drafting relevant customer facing documentation
- Draft and negotiate contractual provisions with customers, vendors, and partners
- Respond to third-party questionnaires and inquiries
- Actively monitor and advise on local and global legal developments
You’ll need to have:
- 3-6 years' practicing as a Data Privacy Counsel at a law firm, in-house and/or in the government
- A passion and ability to advise senior business people
- Experience at drafting and analysing customer terms and conditions
- Strong contract drafting and negotiating skills, including experience building and maintaining templates and associated processes and trainings
- Prior experience responding to regulator and customer inquiries
- Subject matter expertise in data privacy laws, rules, regulations, and industry standards
- Experience partnering with compliance and risk professionals
- Ability to collaborate efficiently with security, engineers, software developers, product development, Human Resources, and other teams
- Strong communication, presentation and negotiation skills and the ability to thrive in a collaborative, open-plan office environment
- Attention to detail and excellent organizational skills
We’d love to see:
- Experience working with regulated financial institutions, software and other technology companies
- A real passion for being part of a global in-house team
- Track record of operating at a high level
- In-house experience or a client secondment
If this sounds like you:
Apply if you think we're a good match. We'll get in touch to let you know what the next steps are.
We are an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Please note we use years of experience as a guide but we certainly will consider applications from you if you are able to demonstrate the skills necessary for the role.