Data Scientist - ESG Quant Strategy
Posted Apr 20, 2022 - Requisition No. 102675
At Bloomberg, our product is our data. The Global Data department is the core of Bloomberg's product offering, providing our Terminal and Enterprise clients with the data that powers decision making throughout the financial industry. We combine deep product knowledge with the latest technology to define what it means to be a modern financial data provider.
The Bloomberg Intelligence (BI) Data Analytics team is responsible for building analytical systems that support critical research that is a key factor in client investment decisions. Our team works closely with Bloomberg Intelligence, the investment research arm of Bloomberg. The BI teams deliver independent research and data-driven perspectives providing in-depth analysis and data sets on industries and companies. They:
Analyse the unique attributes of each business, how it competes against other companies in its industry and how the business strategies translate into financial results
Examine industries changing landscape and how technology, regulation, demographic and ESG trends may affect company performance
Assess government, macro, credit, FX, ETFs and litigation factors that can impact markets and decision making
Through data-driven research, BI creates analytically themed articles and datasets that are distributed to Bloomberg’s global clients to support their investment strategy and business needs.
By having a thorough understanding of the BI research, our team identifies gaps and opportunities to build scalable and configurable solutions to meet these needs across multiple BI verticals: Data Strategy and Analytics, Equity Strategy and FICC Strategy. We are expanding our analytics team to support the BI ESG team and are looking for an experienced data scientist or quant analyst to focus on conducting analysis of ESG (Environmental, Social, and Governance) metrics in a financial markets context, from embedding ESG into equity strategy frameworks, scorecard and quant analysis, to joining ESG and financial data to develop investment strategies and indices, to exploring alternative datasets to inform ESG issues and identify sectors’ or companies’ implications.
We also work with Bloomberg’s market-moving data sets to resolve anomalies, assess data feeds, evaluate the accuracy of forecasts, generate novel estimation models and scoring methods, and figure out how to best combine system automation with human-in-the-loop applications, bringing value to our businesses and ultimately to our clients.
We’ll trust you to:
- Work with a suite of modern data science tools, transform knowledge and apply statistical analysis and Machine Learning algorithms to drive data-driven research for Bloomberg Intelligence, automating the influx of data, conducting feature engineering, model benchmarking and data visualisation
- Test and embed ESG scores, factors and themes in portfolio strategies and market models
- Develop ESG and sustainability-focused thematic portfolios, baskets and indices
- Develop AI-driven models and products - such as news sentiment or carbon estimates expansion - and solutions linking Financial KPIs and ESG metrics
- Leverage NLP processes to develop news, brand, market sentiment data focusing on ESG and thematic issues to identify market trends that matter, identify companies’ exposure or profile, and deliver timely market-relevant ESG financial and data-informed insights
- Identify and explore alternative datasets that can help inform on ESG issues and generate innovative insights (satellite imaging, social media, etc.)
- Optimise and develop technical solutions to help scale ESG portfolio strategies and deepen the analysis such as Clean Energy Tracker, ESG ETF Tracker or CEO Pay
In addition, you will:
- Act as an internal consultant to influence and implement more efficient products through analytics, dashboards, and user documentation, in order to build flexible solutions to derive key insights or content that support product needs
- Identify strategic technical gaps in our ecosystem and advocate for solutions over workarounds
- Be up to date on the latest academic research on ESG, NLP methods and quantitative methods in order to understand the financial application domain and the previous research in this area by conducting background research, collaborating with the subject matter experts in BI Equity Strategy’s team of publishing analysts and driving innovation in this space
- Approach each day knowing this role is critical to the success of the firm. We will rely on your expertise, and our flat structure allows you to make a measurable impact
A successful candidate will have a strong combination of the following:
- Advanced degree in Computer Science, Mathematics, or relevant data technology field and/or professional work experience in quant research, data engineering, data science, or machine learning
- Strong financial market knowledge, including knowledge of accounting principles, interpreting financial statements, and exposure to quantitative financial analysis, as well as showing a strong affinity for ESG data
- Advanced ML/NLP/quantitative analytical development experience, using primarily Python-based industry-standard toolkits to solve real-world research problems; tasks might include cluster analysis, time-series analysis/forecasting, and subjective interpretation of non-numeric data from noisy unstructured text (e.g. topic modelling)
- Standard development environment experience and strong software development practices, e.g. extensive Python development experience with awareness of the latest trends in the development workflow, comfortable with Linux, experience with version control (git), proponent of good testing/documentation practices etc.
- Ability to establish and maintain strong networks across an organisation
- A proactive self-starter approach and a great collaborative attitude, with an ability to spot complementary strengths across people working together
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, especially when conveying compelling stories of technical complexities to an audience with a wide range of domain knowledge
Does this sound like you?
Apply if you think we're a good match. We'll get in touch to let you know what the next steps are.
Bloomberg is committed to diversity. It drives our innovation. At Bloomberg, you'll have the opportunity to go above and beyond and to take risks. You'll be a part of an organization that is entering new markets, launching new ventures, and pushing boundaries. Our ever-expanding array of technology, data, news, and media services champions innovation and empowers clients -- and offers nearly limitless opportunities for career growth.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We bring out the best in each other.