Data Visualisation Reporter/Developer, London
Posted Oct 18, 2023 - Requisition No. 120901
Bloomberg News is seeking a Data Visualisation Reporter/Developer in London who thinks creatively about visual storytelling and possesses the technical skills to implement their ideas through data analysis and web development. You’ll display data-driven insights that help readers understand news events through charts, maps and creative data visualization.
In addition to the London team, you’ll have opportunities to collaborate with Bloomberg News Data Visualisation colleagues in New York, Hong Kong, Singapore, Taipei, San Francisco and Washington D.C.
Our team is highly collaborative and we value people who are motivated to work with others and pitch in when news breaks. You don’t have to be an expert at everything, but you should have a skillset that enables you to tell creative and bold visual stories. We welcome experience with mapping, 3D, motion graphics, illustration, or any creative technology that helps us explore innovative narrative forms. You should be passionate about reporting on issues of significance to readers in Europe, the Middle East and Africa — as well as a global audience.
We'll trust you to:
- Rely on your exceptional curiosity, technical prowess and design sensibilities to create compelling visual stories
- Develop and produce creative data visualisations across platforms and devices
- Design full digital experiences, visual elements and interactive features
- Collaborate with team members and newsroom colleagues on stories important to Bloomberg News readers, including timely graphics driven by planned and unplanned news events and in-depth explanatory or investigative data visualisations
- Possess experience or interest in topics core to Bloomberg News coverage — including business, finance, markets, economics, technology, and government matters — and an eagerness to develop subject-matter expertise in these areas
You'll need to have:
- Visual design skills with an understanding of layout, typography and user experience and familiarity with design software such as Adobe Illustrator and Figma
- Experience with data reporting — the ability to collect, manage, munge and analyze data from various sources and formats using R, Python, or other programmatic methods
You’ll have the support of other editors and journalists across our highly-collaborative global graphics team, but your ability to jump into projects and apply these skills will help the team take ownership of critical stories.
If you think you'd be a good fit to join us, submit an application and include a CV, a brief letter telling us about yourself and a portfolio that demonstrates a comprehensive understanding of data journalism, design and development. Include a link to your Github account if you have one.
Bloomberg is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, ancestry, color, gender identity or expression, genetic predisposition or carrier status, marital status, national or ethnic origin, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, sexual and other reproductive health decisions, parental or caring status, physical or mental disability, pregnancy or maternity/parental leave, protected veteran status, status as a victim of domestic violence, or any other classification protected by applicable law.
Bloomberg provides reasonable adjustment/accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable adjustment/accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable adjustment/accommodation include but are not limited to making a change to the application process work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment. If you would prefer to discuss this confidentially, please email AMER_recruit@bloomberg.net (mailto:AMER_recruit@bloomberg.net) (Americas), EMEA_recruit@bloomberg.net (mailto:EMEA_recruit@bloomberg.net) (Europe, the Middle East and Africa), or APAC_recruit@bloomberg.net (mailto:APAC_recruit@bloomberg.net) (Asia-Pacific), based on the region you are submitting an application for. Alternatively, you can get support from our disability partner EmployAbility, please contact +44 7852 764 684 or email@example.com (mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org)