Data Visualisation Reporter, London
Posted Oct 18, 2023 - Requisition No. 120900
Bloomberg News is seeking a Data Visualisation Reporter in London to cover news as it unfolds, displaying data-driven insights through charts, maps and other forms. We value people who are motivated to help readers understand news events through their creation of clear and informative graphics, and who pitch in to ensure our team’s contributions to newsroom coverage are timely.
In addition to the London team, you’ll have opportunities to collaborate with Bloomberg News Data Visualisation colleagues in New York, Hong Kong, Singapore, Taipei, San Francisco and Washington D.C.
We'll trust you to:
- Rely on your exceptional curiosity, technical prowess and design sensibilities to create informative maps, charts, explanatory diagrams and other graphics in response to news events, both planned and unplanned
- Collaborate with team members and newsroom colleagues to report on news events as they evolve over subsequent days or weeks, identifying potential data and visual opportunities for stories that push our coverage forward
- Work efficiently under tight deadlines
- Possess experience or interest in topics core to Bloomberg News coverage — including business, finance, markets, economics, technology, and government matters — and an eagerness to develop subject-matter expertise in these areas
- Strong sense of visual design, layout and typography, as well as familiarity with design software, including Adobe Illustrator and Figma
- Experience reporting and crafting visual narratives with data
- Experience with data reporting — the ability to collect, manage, munge and analyze data from various sources and formats using R, Python, or other programmatic methods
- Experience with front-end web development is preferred but not required
You’ll have the support of other editors and journalists across our highly-collaborative global graphics team, but your ability to jump into projects and apply these skills will help the team take ownership of critical stories.
If you think you'd be a good fit to join us, submit an application and include a CV, a cover letter telling us about yourself and a portfolio that demonstrates experience creating graphics and data-driven narratives. Include a link to your Github account if you have one.
Bloomberg is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, ancestry, color, gender identity or expression, genetic predisposition or carrier status, marital status, national or ethnic origin, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, sexual and other reproductive health decisions, parental or caring status, physical or mental disability, pregnancy or maternity/parental leave, protected veteran status, status as a victim of domestic violence, or any other classification protected by applicable law.
Bloomberg provides reasonable adjustment/accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable adjustment/accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable adjustment/accommodation include but are not limited to making a change to the application process work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment. If you would prefer to discuss this confidentially, please email AMER_recruit@bloomberg.net (mailto:AMER_recruit@bloomberg.net) (Americas), EMEA_recruit@bloomberg.net (mailto:EMEA_recruit@bloomberg.net) (Europe, the Middle East and Africa), or APAC_recruit@bloomberg.net (mailto:APAC_recruit@bloomberg.net) (Asia-Pacific), based on the region you are submitting an application for. Alternatively, you can get support from our disability partner EmployAbility, please contact +44 7852 764 684 or firstname.lastname@example.org (mailto:email@example.com)