Engineering Team Lead - News Applications
Posted Aug 31, 2022 - Requisition No. 108096
News and Social media move financial markets, and the Bloomberg Terminal serves as a leader in this space. In addition to being the second largest producer of news in the world, Bloomberg ingests more than 1.5 million news stories and over 10 million social media posts per day from over 120,000 different sources. It is easy for clients to become overwhelmed and lost in the deluge of data. Our products help users to efficiently search, monitor, analyze and consume news in the broader context of the financial market.
To do so, our team uses a variety of technologies and services to build systems and UIs on the Bloomberg Terminal that serves millions of client requests daily. It requires close collaboration with business partners to build intuitive, informational, and flexible UIs that can adapt to the rapidly evolving news ecosystem and market demands. There is also an element of concurrent, distributed systems.
At Bloomberg, Team Leaders are very hands-on, and have the opportunity to build market-shaping products along with mentoring and empowering their talented engineers. Collaboration and adapting to a changing business environment will help you develop expertise of what our core product delivery entails, understand customer needs, and release products to meet those needs.
We'll trust you to:
- Be a hands-on technical leader and work side-by-side with your team
- Lead the development of technical solutions to meet current and future business needs, taking a long term view on the system as well as product
- Inspire and motivate a hard-working team to achieve great results
- Support individual growth and development
- Quickly get up to speed on the relevant business domain and navigate the organisation
- Develop partnerships between engineering as well as product teams, facilitate communication and ensure that the correct problems are being solved
You'll need to have:
- Software engineering skills in an object oriented language, covering algorithms, data structures, software architecture, exposure to the full development life cycle
- The desire to take ownership and responsibility of issues and handle effectively through to resolution
- Experience managing a team of software engineers, including people management, development, and mentorship
- The ability to foster a collaborative environment; through driving a strong culture of teamwork and taking advantage of team diversity
- Ability to effectively listen, communicate, challenge and influence team members, peers and senior managers
- An understanding and appreciation for agile development practices
We'd also love to see:
- A diverse range of experience with a variety of programming languages, paradigms and different tools
- Experience working with remote teams across different locations and cultures
- A keen interest in keeping abreast of technological advances and past success at incorporating new technology into existing systems
- Aim to build communities and support D&I initiatives
- a bachelor’s degree in computer science or a related field, and/or
- an equivalent combination of education, and/or
- specialized training, and/or
- related professional experience.
Lastly, this position requires at least one of the following:
Bloomberg is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, ancestry, color, gender identity or expression, genetic predisposition or carrier status, marital status, national or ethnic origin, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, sexual and other reproductive health decisions, parental or caring status, physical or mental disability, pregnancy or maternity/parental leave, protected veteran status, status as a victim of domestic violence, or any other classification protected by applicable law.
Bloomberg is a disability inclusive employer. Please let us know if you require any reasonable adjustments to be made for the recruitment process. If you would prefer to discuss this confidentially, please email email@example.com